Re: [FH] The Effect of Hydration Status on the Echocardiographic Measurements of Normal Cats

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hi -- this is very interesting. It would make sense that all our muscles and organs plump up a little when we're well-hydrated, and shrink a little when we're dehydrated (for whatever reason). Since the echo measurements they take are in mms, maybe hydration levels do play a big part. I know that when they test for kidney problems, hydration plays a huge part. I once had a cat tested in serious renal failure, and then they put her on fluids overnight, and in the morning they retested, and she was 100% fine. Let me ask Mother Stephania about this. I was unsuccessful in getting her to join our list, but i'm sure she will know about this.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
        Let's be cautious when discussing this article. We shouldn't assume or let new people assume that the vet could be wrong in making a diagnosis due to changes in fluid levels in a cat and that the vet could be wrong in a HCM diagnosis and a cat may not need care. To complete a diagnosis, a CBC/chem panel, echo, and xrays are needed to understand the full picture of health. An enlarged heart will show up on the xray and echo. Fluid buildup that isn't normal will show. Fluid in the lungs that shouldn't be there will show in the xray.  No vet should make a diagnosis based on one thing. And a good vet will move cautiously through a treatment plan based on the current findings and will have the patient rechecked shortly after to see how things are progressing.