and allergy question Re: [FH] Re: question about rate of disease advancement and left atrium enlargement

  • CYezer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hi Lyn and Laurie,
      Thanks for your information and also for your info about both your kitties
      Lyn. I actually was allowed to watch the cardio do the echo this time as
      there were few people around and the room was free to do this. He showed
      me the valves and where the leaks were and the doppler/echo machine colored
      these in with blue and red so you could see precisely what was happening to
      the blood flow. He explained everything to me what he was doing as he took
      the measurements,so I'll try to fit in a question about if he measured in
      the correct place, but my sense is that he dislikes telling patients bad
      news, and he would not have let a mistake like that happen and then have to
      confront me with it. But I wonder actually how bad such an enlargement is.
      I wish someone would tell me if it meant he had x months to live. Or that
      such a determination cannot be done with the info at hand. I guess Im
      faced with having to go back and ask him about this... ! Oh well if anyone
      has more info Im happy to hear it, thanks so much you two for your help.

      In other news Laurie, I'd be interested in knowing how a food allergy might
      produce heart enlargement that might be mistaken for cardiomyopathy. I
      have not heard that before, but it makes me wonder because Lefty has had a
      dark wax problem in one of his ears that a vet told me was possibly a food
      allergy. I bring it up with every new vet, but no vet ever acted on doing
      a culture etc or investigating it further -- all just said it was normal
      and that some cats just have more wax in one ear. It is very dark wax that
      I first thought was earmites, but was not. It goes away when I clean it
      periodically. When I mentioned it to the cardio and asked if there was
      some systemic issue that might be related between the ear stuff and the
      heart he said that circulatory issues were not related there.

      Thanks so much for your help