Re: question about rate of disease advancement and left atrium enlargement

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hi

      The measurement of the atrium is the key to diagnosing cardiomyopathy. The
      problem is they don't always measure it in exactly the same place so some
      areas may be slightly thicker than others. It's possible that happened but I
      would ask the cardiologist to make sure. My Alex was diagnosed as HCM over
      a year ago as his thickness of walls was 1mm above what is normal. This
      year his walls are measuring 2mm less and within normal range.

    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012
        Lyn,

        That is wonderful to see improvement!  I have been told by the cardiologist HCM never gets better.  If the thickness of the heart improves, it was most likely caused from something other than HCM, like a food allergy or something of that sort.

        Just curious what have you been told?  Do they still believe it was HCM to begin with?

        Thanks!
        Laurie and Boo