Re: Did I cause this? Was this an heart attack?

  • carolroars
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
      Yes, I agree with Lyn totally. He needs to get his medication, ALL of it every day and not miss any doses. Heart disease isn't like other things where if you miss a dose it may not hurt. The heart can't function properly, so the medications are helping it do it's job, and if you miss doses or stop the meds abruptly, it's a shock to the heart and it can be very bad... fatal bad. I don't want to scare you, but this is a very serious thing with the heart and the medications are sometimes the only thing that keeps it working properly.

      I give pills the same way... put whatever I can fit into an empty capsule so I don't have to do so many pillings, and I put the capsules in a little wad of wet food that I had in the fridge, so it's easier to mold around the capsule. I put it on my finger and when they open their mouth, I push it along the side all the way to the back and then hold their mouth gently closed, stroke their neck from chin to chest to make them swallow and it's done. It takes about 10 seconds tops. It takes a little practice, but once you get the technique down, it ALWAYS works! There isn't a cat that I can't give a pill to this way. I never scruff, never pry their mouths open, never shove pills down their throats. I hold the pill on my finger and gently squeeze the sides of their mouth till they open then just pop it back there.

      It may have been a "heart attack". There's no way to know for sure, but I think if you can give Aslan the medication daily and not miss doses, he'll have a better chance of that not happening again.

      Hang in there. We'll be thinking of you.

      Carol and the gang