Re: Questions about CHF

  • gustysg1974
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
      Hi Lori,
      I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. CHF alone is scary. When your cat also has asthma, it's even more frustrating - is he having a hard time because of his heart, or his lungs? I know with Gus, the CHF did not so much cause the asthma type coughing. His breathing rate tended to be higher, and did not get better with the administration of his inhaler. I would say, based on my experience, that if his cough stops after getting a dose of albuterol, and he is playing and acting normal, the signs are probably asthma related. Gus was about 21 when he was diagnosed, so he did not play too much, but he was pretty active, and once the CHF developed, you could tell when the fluid was building up because he didn't have the stamina to move around so much.
      Are you seeing a cardiologist with Rudy? Gus was pretty bad when he was diagnosed (again, the asthma threw me off initially) and was in the hospital for 2 days in an oxygen chamber, on iv lasix and they had to drain a lot of fluid from his chest and abdomin to stabilize him. Once he was released, I had to go back after 5 days so they could check for fluids and run bloodwork to make sure the diuretic wasn't causing kidney issues. His prognosis at the time of diagnosis was "guarded" due to how advanced his heart disease was. He did make it another 5 months, and I don't really think it was his heart that did him in. He also had chronic renal failure and hyperthyroidism, and I think that his loss off appetite due to the crf was the biggest villain.
      Some cats are able to be brought out of CHF and never have another problem with it, and some maintain for several years on the heart meds, despite the CHF.
      I am going to wrap this up, as it is rather long. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. I know there are many on this board who are much more knowledgable than I.

      Shannon

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
        Hi Lori

        I am sorry to hear about Rudy.I don't have any experience with asthma but
        is it possible he can see a cardiologist? They would be the best person to
        diagnose Rudy and see what is wrong with his heart. It needs an ultrasound
        to see the heart and then the best treatment can be given. If he has fluid
        on or around his lungs he may have heart failure or he may have a pneumonia
        type infection. Both would be treated differently so I would definitely get
        the ultrasound done as soon as possible.

        lyn

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
          My "Boo" was treated with a steroid for what we suspected was asthma.  This put her in CHF and it was determined once she was well enough for further testing that she never had asthma!  Definitely see a cardiologist as soon as possible so you are sure you are treating the right problem.

          Best,
          Laurie and Boo