Did I cause this? Was this an heart attack?

  • Banu Korgul
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2012
      Aslan, my senior rescue boy with chronic kidney disease (crea around 2.5) and left dilated cardiomyopathy had a serious episode last night.

      Before December 14 he was in a good shape. Breathing around 25-30s, purring, happy..
      On Dec 14 the cardio prof saw him after 6 months. He found him in good shape , free from fluid in lungs. He saw a moderate sound in his upper respiratory area, so gave a long acting depomedrol shot.
      After that shot, suddenly Aslan became ill looking. Rapid respirations rising to 55.. The least was 45per minute.. A new wet said fluid in abdomen. I told this "not so sure info" to the cardiologist on the phone and he said use spiro.. I did for a few dys and no change..
      Then last week after maybe 5-6 days after spiro, he recovered.. Bpm decreased to 27:)) i dont know why or how..The only different thing was that i added a second diuretic spiro and insisted he take his pomebendan (vetmedin) which he rarely accepts...

      THEN came last night... Out of the blue hi brething rised to 45 again, i ws so upset an lost.. I thought maybe the vetmedin had him recover and the lack of vetmedin caused him to decline tonight. He had missed two doses of meds ( lasix, spiro, enalapril, digoxin, vetmedin, natti) .. Because he did not finish his wet food.. I did not want him to miss a third dose so i tried to pill him by scruffing him. He did not like it, resisted, then became quite weak, held himself still a minute, then jumped to the floor and started to open his mouth so big that i thought he was dying. He had very high breathing but HE WAS NOT panting.. It was as if he was too weak even to pant.. Then i held the oxygen tube i got near him to he could inhale a bit.. In 2 min he closed his mouth and started resting.. I hided from him not to scare him. Probably he thought i am a monster.. After 45 min I offered raw meat to see his reaction, he purred for half a minute( normally when I give him a food he likes he purrs for 15-20 mins) then he rested. Peed. Ate. Rested. He walks a bit and rests.. It's been almost 20 hrs, he got his morning dose of enalapril, digoxin, lasix. Did not eat the vetmedin or spiro so I did not insist..

      Is this the end?
      Did I cause this?
      Was this a heart attack?
      What was that open mouth not panting act?

      Maybe you remember , in US for 5 years although my young age I worked w 5 rescue groups very actively. Then I came to turkey and the vets here are really rarely good. The only cardio doc is not really very near an aslan cant travel so he cant see aslan in every problem.. On the phone, he is a busy guy... Anyway this group is a big support and sometimes the only option I have. I am prob the only person in this country who sees a feline cardiologist and has an oxygen tune for a cat.. So I am alone in both diagnostically and emotionally..

      Please tell me what to do, I am stuck with terrifying thought of losing him and even worse causing it...

      Best regards to all of you
      Ms Banu and dear Aslan

      Sent via Banu's iPod touch
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2012
        was that a steroid? I'm not familiar with that name. NEVER EVER ALLOW A VET TO GIVE A STEROID SHOT to any kitty with any kind of heart disease unless it's a matter of life or death. Vets who suspect asthma give those shots routinely without thinking, or they don't know that steroid shots can cause massive heart problems in kitties with diagnosed or hidden heart disease.

        If your kitty has heart disease, there should be NO STEROID SHOTS EVER written in big red magic marker on his records.

        Asthma can be treated other ways -- always work with your cardiologist if your kitty develops any other serious problems, and never a regular vet. Many vets do not know enough about heart disease to always do the right thing for them.

      • Banu Korgul
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21, 2012
          Hello thanks for the response.
          The cortisone shot was done in December, after that he recovered.
          The episode I seek info happened last night.

          Btw, I will never ever have anyone give a steroid shot to a heart kitty again but it was a cardio professor who gave the shot, saying won't hurt aslan( dilated cardiomyopathy).. And he had suspected asthma, he thought maybe an inflammation ... Said to try this and see the result.. The snorting went away indeed but that was not a huge concern, he declined heavily dyer the shot so who cares if it helped his upper resp inflammation, right...

          Thanks

          Sent via Banu's iPod touch

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 22, 2012
            Hi

            Aslan needs to take his medications without any breaks unless its
            impossible to get the pills down. When Trixi had her recent scare we had to take
            her to the vets daily for the vet to administer her pills because she was so
            stressed with us trying and couldn't miss them.

            The vet put the pills in recovery food rolled up and pushed the little
            balls of food to the back of her throat where she swallowed it. After a few
            times I was confident to try this and it worked to get her over the emergency.

          • carolroars
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
              Yes, I agree with Lyn totally. He needs to get his medication, ALL of it every day and not miss any doses. Heart disease isn't like other things where if you miss a dose it may not hurt. The heart can't function properly, so the medications are helping it do it's job, and if you miss doses or stop the meds abruptly, it's a shock to the heart and it can be very bad... fatal bad. I don't want to scare you, but this is a very serious thing with the heart and the medications are sometimes the only thing that keeps it working properly.

              I give pills the same way... put whatever I can fit into an empty capsule so I don't have to do so many pillings, and I put the capsules in a little wad of wet food that I had in the fridge, so it's easier to mold around the capsule. I put it on my finger and when they open their mouth, I push it along the side all the way to the back and then hold their mouth gently closed, stroke their neck from chin to chest to make them swallow and it's done. It takes about 10 seconds tops. It takes a little practice, but once you get the technique down, it ALWAYS works! There isn't a cat that I can't give a pill to this way. I never scruff, never pry their mouths open, never shove pills down their throats. I hold the pill on my finger and gently squeeze the sides of their mouth till they open then just pop it back there.

              It may have been a "heart attack". There's no way to know for sure, but I think if you can give Aslan the medication daily and not miss doses, he'll have a better chance of that not happening again.

              Hang in there. We'll be thinking of you.

              Carol and the gang