Re: Beloved cat just diagnosed with this horrid disease

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2012
      Hi Donna

      I agree with all of the advice Donna gave you. Many cats present with
      sudden death so you have been given a chance to do something. See a cardiologist
      immediately to get a proper diagnosis by ultrasound. There are various
      types of cardiomyopahty, some with complications and they need different
      medications. A prognosis you don't need to listen to because your kitty won't.
      My Trixi was diagnosed at 12 weeks and given months to live and it is her
      6th birthday next year. Medications can help a lot and Alexi will need
      immediate treatment for heart failure which will include diuretics.

      She'll also need a blood test to check she is not anaemic and hyperthyroid
      and test her basic levels. It's an awful shock when they are first
      diagnosed, but it does get easier. You start to enjoy them again and after a while,
      come to terms with it.