HCM and Hyperthyroidism - MAX

  • hsmcnp@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2012
      Yes I am getting the cardiac ultrasound done by a cardiologist who I have been taking my other cat Tigger to for HCM. The Vet mentioned something about getting the kidney tests done once Max is on the thyroid meds for at least 5-7 days as she stated sometimes kidney issues show up. Is that a result of the thyroid meds (tapazole) or the Cat had issues all along? I was confused about having to do the kidney tests again after on the meds as Max's bloodwork was fie except for the thyroid. A free t4 was done after the senior screen thryoid test was abnormal. How does the thyroid meds work in gel form? My vet has it being prepared for Max thru a compound pharmacy which I didn't quite understand. Is the tab bitter tasting? Quite a lot to hear at one time, that your 13 yo cat has thyroid poblems, but then may have cardiac and kidney problems as well!! Helen Mc and Max

    • Wimpole Street Ragdolls
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2012
        Hyperthyroidism can cause heart wall thickening as does HCM. The HCM diagnosis is limited in cats to genetic origin thickening with the diagnosis of thickening because of hyperthyroidism or high blood pressure being diagnosed as those conditions and not HCM. The consequences of and symptoms caused by the thickening are the same, as are some of the treatments.

        Best,
        Jan

        Jan Henson
        Wimpole Street Ragdolls
      • acrocat@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2012
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, hsmcnp@... wrote:
          > The Vet mentioned something about getting the kidney tests done once Max is on the thyroid meds for at least 5-7 days as she stated sometimes kidney issues show up. Is that a result of the thyroid meds (tapazole) or the Cat had issues all along?

          The cat has had issues all along. It's a little confusing. Hyperthyroidism can mask kidney problems, so when it's treated then the kidney problems are revealed (if they're there). So it's not that hyperthyroidism is good for kidneys, or that treating hyperthyroidism damages kidneys, but rather that a cat with untreated hyperthyroidism can have misleading results on the blood test for kidney function. Does that make sense? So once the hyperthyroidism is controlled, kidney function should be rechecked.

          Tapazole (methimazole) is not terrible tasting. I would use it in pill form or chewy form before gel form, personally. Actually personally I'd do I131 for my cat, but if I was going to use methimazole I'd only use the gel as a last resort for a cat who couldn't have oral medication.

          Adriann
        • hsmcnp97
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2012
            Jan, Thank you for this info. I am still waiting to hear when the echocardiogram is being scheduled. Max has been on the thyroid meds for two days and is vomiting a sm. amt. He is eating a little. Might give him 1/8 of a pepcid tab. I do this with my Tigger who has HCM.
            HelenMc and Max