RE: [FH] Our little Christmas miracle!

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2012
      Hi Carol; I think Gump suffered Congestive Heart Failure or CHF and not a heart attack. At his age and with his other "stuff" he will probably have more later, but you are on the right meds to prevent them. Lasix helps to keep the liquid from building in his lungs. There are some supplements you can give him which might help...CQ10 is good for the heart at about 50mg/day. Taurine is good if he isn't already getting it. Nattokinasse is a good supplement for preventing blood clots (a by product of heart disease,) and for helping to break down clots if they do form. Watch his resting breaths per minute for indications that liquid is building up for another round of CHF...normal is in the low to mid 20's and up to about the mid 30's is OK but possibly indicative of build up...anything higher is cause for alarm. Many cats do very well on these meds for multiple years...good luck...Judi and Angel Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: keycmv@...
      Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:44:49 +0000
      Subject: [FH] Our little Christmas miracle!

      Hi - I'm new to the group.

      We were heading out of town December 22 for the holidays and decided to take CRF hypothyroid Gump in the RV with us. Gump turned 18 in August.

      35 minutes into the drive Gump collapsed. Even stopping for fuel, my husband got us to our regular vet in 20 minutes. Gump was out of it, limp, eyes glazed, shallow breathing, and hissing. His temperature was so low it didn't register, same with blood pressure. We thought we were there to let him go.

      In less than 10 hours he was doing well - he didn't understand what all the fuss is about. The oxygen tent really helped. U/S showed enlarged heart and a minor pleural effusion.

      He is on Lasix and and ACE inhibitor (benepril?). He came home with us the Friday before Christmas. He is acting like nothing ever happened.

      Looking back, we realize that the rapid increase in altitude probably triggered the episode. The ironic part of the whole thing is that we got the RV so that we could travel with him - this was the first trip in the RV. I suspect he will go far with us, but no elevation increases for him!

      I know cats don't read statistics, but does a heart attack such as this significantly increase his chances of having another one? I know we can't change the future and I don't plan of worrying about it - but I am curious of the prognosis.

      Carol and the clowder