Re: Yuki - Increased Lasix worries

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
      Hello
      Did they do a chest xray to see if there was fluid in the lungs before releasing him...Thats the only way they can tell for sure if there is fluid in the lungs.My vet does that when my cats coughing with cracking noise etc .i take him into emerg ..they take an xray before they start treatment to confirm fluid is in the lung..They dose him up with lasix injections,stick him in the oxygen chammber...and start the lasix injections...if fluid leaves the lung and hes stable they release him...if theres still fluid they keep him...there and increase the dose...they don't release him till his chest xray shows the fluid has cleared..
      Mine was on 20 mg injection and pill of lasix for 3 months...without any problems except constipation ...and his kidney BUN values are not good
      my cat threw up today :( after using the litter box ...i think im going to be learning a lot about crf very soon...

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, MAUREEN FOGG <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:

      > Hello,  Since being in the hospital on New Years eve (Saturday), The emergency
      > vet prescribed Yuki with .25 ml lasix every 8 hours. This (so Im told)
      > corresponds to 3 - 12.5 mg pills a day.  She is so lethargic and her color is
      > terrible.  Every time she drinks I fear another round of heart failure as she
      > seems to choke and gag for a few minutes after lapping her water.  Is this what
      > happens when the kitty is at the end? - I dont understand why a week ago she was
      > "fine" on .18 ml twice a day.
      > Has anyone had a similar experience when their cat seems to need less lasix -
      > she has been on .15-.20ml for months - and then they go into chronic chf and
      > need .24-.25 every 8 hours? Can she last very long on this high a dose?
      > Thanks
      > Maureen

    • MAUREEN FOGG
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
        What happened was when she was in hospital she presented as fairly stable with
        only a small amount of fluid on lungs so they did not treat her at  - just took
        the xrays - and just told me to increase the lasix to 3 times a day .25 ml each
        time.  Im still very confused as to how many mg are in a ml of the liquid
        injectible...
        She is also on vetmedin 1.25 bid and coq10 and natto and dasuquin...

      • MAUREEN FOGG
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
          The Salix box says the solution is a 5 percent solution of furosemide

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
            I think she is getting the equivalent of 3 12.5 lasix pills per day if each ml
            contains 50 mg of furosemide.
            that means .25 ml injection has 12.5 mg of lasix - same as the pill.

            ________________________________
            Did they do a chest xray to see if there was fluid in the lungs before releasing
            him...Thats the only way they can tell for sure if there is fluid in the
            lungs.My vet does that when my cats coughing with cracking noise etc .i take him
            into emerg ..they take an xray before they start treatment to confirm fluid is
            in the lung..They dose him up with lasix injections,stick him in the oxygen
            chammber...and start the lasix injections...if fluid leaves the lung and hes
            stable they release him...if theres still fluid they keep him...there and
            increase the dose...they don't release him till his chest xray shows the fluid
            has cleared..
            Mine was on 20 mg injection and pill of lasix for 3 months...without any
            problems except constipation ...and his kidney BUN values are not good
            my cat threw up today :( after using the litter box ...i think im going to be
            learning a lot about crf very soon...

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, MAUREEN FOGG <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:

            > Hello,  Since being in the hospital on New Years eve (Saturday), The emergency

            > vet prescribed Yuki with .25 ml lasix every 8 hours. This (so Im told)
            > corresponds to 3 - 12.5 mg pills a day.  She is so lethargic and her color is
            > terrible.  Every time she drinks I fear another round of heart failure as she
            > seems to choke and gag for a few minutes after lapping her water.  Is this what
            >
            > happens when the kitty is at the end? - I dont understand why a week ago she
            >was
            >
            > "fine" on .18 ml twice a day.
            > Has anyone had a similar experience when their cat seems to need less lasix -
            > she has been on .15-.20ml for months - and then they go into chronic chf and
            > need .24-.25 every 8 hours? Can she last very long on this high a dose?
            > Thanks
            > Maureen

          • Jim Kelly
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
              yes...my injection bottle says 50 mg furesomide per ml... so .25 ml is 12.5 mg
              of lasix.. injections tend to work faster then  the same amount by pill

              the thing i don't understand is the gagging after drinking...unless hes gasping for breath..but if his lungs don't have  much fluid in him...why would he be gagging...
              The most important thing is the xray ...so all you can go by is what it shows and increase his lasix...
              but does fluid in lung cause gagging after drinking...i don't know..ive never encountered that.....maybe hes drinking too quickly from thirst due to the lasix causing him to gag...

            • MAUREEN FOGG
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
                Yes - I almost think she is inhaling water into her lungs because she is
                drinking so fast that she is choking.  It quiets down after a while and she
                stops choking.
                Then just goes back to sleep.