Yuki - Increased Lasix worries

  • MAUREEN FOGG
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
      Hello,  Since being in the hospital on New Years eve (Saturday), The emergency
      vet prescribed Yuki with .25 ml lasix every 8 hours. This (so Im told)
      corresponds to 3 - 12.5 mg pills a day.  She is so lethargic and her color is
      terrible.  Every time she drinks I fear another round of heart failure as she
      seems to choke and gag for a few minutes after lapping her water.  Is this what
      happens when the kitty is at the end? - I dont understand why a week ago she was
      "fine" on .18 ml twice a day.
      Has anyone had a similar experience when their cat seems to need less lasix -
      she has been on .15-.20ml for months - and then they go into chronic chf and
      need .24-.25 every 8 hours? Can she last very long on this high a dose?
      Thanks
      Maureen

    • joanne marbut
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
        I assume they gave her IV lasix and oxygen until she recovered? Did they do a follow-up echo? Once a cat has recovered from an episode, a return to normal doses of meds is usually the norm, as long as the cat is responding to treatment.  My cat receives 12 mg over three times a day. She's also on 1/2 of a Spironolactone a day.

        Each ml of lasix contains 8 or 10 mg of lasix usually, depending on strength of solution. The bottle will read-for example-"8mg/ml" meaning 8 grams of med is in each ml of liquid. But that's just the strength.  If the cat receives .25 ml per dose, then the cat is receiving 1/4 (using the example I gave above) of 8mg per dose or 2mg per .25ml.  So the cat receives 6 mg a day-that's if I've done the math right.  That dose isn't that high and the cat might need more or the cat needs additional meds and treatment. My cat's on atenolol, Plavix, and enalapril in addition to lasix and spironolactone.  But yes, from what I understand, when the cat is having heart failure, trying to keep congestion away is a battle when the cat is near the end of it's life. But I would suggest more treatments, more meds, etc. I'm not sure what all you are doing now. Good luck!

         http://www.drugs.com/pro/furosemide.html%c2%a0 Here's a link to info on the med.

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
          Hello
          Did they do a chest xray to see if there was fluid in the lungs before releasing him...Thats the only way they can tell for sure if there is fluid in the lungs.My vet does that when my cats coughing with cracking noise etc .i take him into emerg ..they take an xray before they start treatment to confirm fluid is in the lung..They dose him up with lasix injections,stick him in the oxygen chammber...and start the lasix injections...if fluid leaves the lung and hes stable they release him...if theres still fluid they keep him...there and increase the dose...they don't release him till his chest xray shows the fluid has cleared..
          Mine was on 20 mg injection and pill of lasix for 3 months...without any problems except constipation ...and his kidney BUN values are not good
          my cat threw up today :( after using the litter box ...i think im going to be learning a lot about crf very soon...

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, MAUREEN FOGG <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:

          > Hello,  Since being in the hospital on New Years eve (Saturday), The emergency
          > vet prescribed Yuki with .25 ml lasix every 8 hours. This (so Im told)
          > corresponds to 3 - 12.5 mg pills a day.  She is so lethargic and her color is
          > terrible.  Every time she drinks I fear another round of heart failure as she
          > seems to choke and gag for a few minutes after lapping her water.  Is this what
          > happens when the kitty is at the end? - I dont understand why a week ago she was
          > "fine" on .18 ml twice a day.
          > Has anyone had a similar experience when their cat seems to need less lasix -
          > she has been on .15-.20ml for months - and then they go into chronic chf and
          > need .24-.25 every 8 hours? Can she last very long on this high a dose?
          > Thanks
          > Maureen

        • MAUREEN FOGG
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
            What happened was when she was in hospital she presented as fairly stable with
            only a small amount of fluid on lungs so they did not treat her at  - just took
            the xrays - and just told me to increase the lasix to 3 times a day .25 ml each
            time.  Im still very confused as to how many mg are in a ml of the liquid
            injectible...
            She is also on vetmedin 1.25 bid and coq10 and natto and dasuquin...

          • MAUREEN FOGG
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
              The Salix box says the solution is a 5 percent solution of furosemide

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
                I think she is getting the equivalent of 3 12.5 lasix pills per day if each ml
                contains 50 mg of furosemide.
                that means .25 ml injection has 12.5 mg of lasix - same as the pill.

                ________________________________
                Did they do a chest xray to see if there was fluid in the lungs before releasing
                him...Thats the only way they can tell for sure if there is fluid in the
                lungs.My vet does that when my cats coughing with cracking noise etc .i take him
                into emerg ..they take an xray before they start treatment to confirm fluid is
                in the lung..They dose him up with lasix injections,stick him in the oxygen
                chammber...and start the lasix injections...if fluid leaves the lung and hes
                stable they release him...if theres still fluid they keep him...there and
                increase the dose...they don't release him till his chest xray shows the fluid
                has cleared..
                Mine was on 20 mg injection and pill of lasix for 3 months...without any
                problems except constipation ...and his kidney BUN values are not good
                my cat threw up today :( after using the litter box ...i think im going to be
                learning a lot about crf very soon...

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, MAUREEN FOGG <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:

                > Hello,  Since being in the hospital on New Years eve (Saturday), The emergency

                > vet prescribed Yuki with .25 ml lasix every 8 hours. This (so Im told)
                > corresponds to 3 - 12.5 mg pills a day.  She is so lethargic and her color is
                > terrible.  Every time she drinks I fear another round of heart failure as she
                > seems to choke and gag for a few minutes after lapping her water.  Is this what
                >
                > happens when the kitty is at the end? - I dont understand why a week ago she
                >was
                >
                > "fine" on .18 ml twice a day.
                > Has anyone had a similar experience when their cat seems to need less lasix -
                > she has been on .15-.20ml for months - and then they go into chronic chf and
                > need .24-.25 every 8 hours? Can she last very long on this high a dose?
                > Thanks
                > Maureen

              • Jim Kelly
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
                  yes...my injection bottle says 50 mg furesomide per ml... so .25 ml is 12.5 mg
                  of lasix.. injections tend to work faster then  the same amount by pill

                  the thing i don't understand is the gagging after drinking...unless hes gasping for breath..but if his lungs don't have  much fluid in him...why would he be gagging...
                  The most important thing is the xray ...so all you can go by is what it shows and increase his lasix...
                  but does fluid in lung cause gagging after drinking...i don't know..ive never encountered that.....maybe hes drinking too quickly from thirst due to the lasix causing him to gag...

                • MAUREEN FOGG
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
                    Yes - I almost think she is inhaling water into her lungs because she is
                    drinking so fast that she is choking.  It quiets down after a while and she
                    stops choking.
                    Then just goes back to sleep.