Re: Lasix or Spironolactone

  • Jim Kelly
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
      Thank you,Lyn...
      I was thinking of alternatives to lasix.Have you ever heard of dandelion leaf used  as a diuretic in cats ?

      Thanks

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
        hi Jim,

        I used to use dandelion leaf (root is typically used for liver disorders), on my angel Sweetie. It did help some, but it's not really potent enough to handle the kind of fluid that comes along with CHF kitties. I used a combination of dandelion leaf and lasix in the beginning of Sweetie's CHF, when it wasn't so bad, but as her condition progressed, we dropped the dandelion and just used the lasix.

        Dandelion isn't really any "safer" than the drugs as far as protection for the kidneys, because it's still a diuretic and will have the same effect on taking fluid out of the body that's needed for other organ functions.

        The only thing about dandelion is that it does have other nutrients in it that can be of benefit.

        Carol and the gang

        I was thinking of alternatives to lasix.Have you ever heard of dandelion leaf used as a diuretic in cats ?

        Thanks

      • joanne marbut
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
          Depending on the amount of fluid a cat is suspectible to collecting, lasix alone may not be enough. A cat may also need spironolactone not only as a diuretic but also to help the body preserve potassium.  If the CBC/chem panel blood test shows a low level of potassium, around 4 or less, then a supplement might be needed. Normal range is 3.5-5 for cats.  My cat's blood potassium was 4.2 but the cardiologist-in order to warrant off any possible kidney issues since my cat's on lasix and spironolactone-suggested I give a supplement. I have been giving her half of a human potassium supplement (divided over three meal times) and her potassium level is now 4.5.  If you are trying to decide if your cat should have both, I would say both are beneficial. Good luck!