Re: "Boo" diagnosed with DCM

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2011
      Hi Laurie

      I have a cat with HCM who was diagnosed 5 years ago and given a few months
      to live at the time. After her heart attack due to blood clot she was on
      exactly the same medications Boo was on including vetmedin and spiro, exactly
      the same but with atenolol as well. The meds lowered her blood pressure to
      100 and we have symptoms for that. When she's asleep she'll suddenly call
      out and start howling and then we reassure her and she goes back to sleep.
      The only thing anyone can think of is low blood pressure and she has
      consistently been about 90 - 100. I keep her on all meds as she had no chance at
      all after the heart attack and is a real miracle. They only made a repeat
      appointment because I was so upset.

      The thing that comes to mind with Boo is the benazepril which is a drug
      which lowers blood pressure. It takes the strain off the heart. Vetmedin
      (pimobendan) can also lower blood pressure slightly but for my cats it's been a
      life saving drug. The wobbling may be low blood pressure because it does
      drop when you sleep and for a few seconds after she gets up she may be low.
      As she is now wobbling again, I wouldn't blame the new drugs she started.
      All the cardiac drugs can make them sleepy and dopey at first but it goes
      away within a few days.

      But the other thing is what someone mentioned and that would be the
      potassium. She's on two diuretics and lasix strips potassium from the body and
      that causes wobbling and weakness in the limbs. Can you ask for a liquid
      potassium supplement for pets, they come in beef flavour. In the UK it's called
      kaminox, If that is the problem I would highly recommend you restart the
      vetmedin as it really has been a wonder drug in my cats.

      DCM can be caused by lack of taurine but if Boo is on normal cat food, that
      shouldn't be an issue these days.
      Hope that helps some.

      Lyn:)

    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 29, 2011
        Hi Laurie

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "kittykatwhiskas" <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

        > Within days of adding these new meds, she was more lethargic, hiding/sleeping in the corner of a room away from me, and saw the "balance problem" when she would wake from a nap. ..... She was doing great before we added them and it was too much of a coincidence.

        Keep in mind that her disease symptoms may wax and wane, so coincidence in common in cases of chronic but unstable disease (such as DCM). Both the spironolactone and benazepril can lower blood pressure. They are used as BP drugs in humans, but not in cats as they rarely lower BP enough to treat true hypertension in cats. Pimobendan is a life-prolonging drug in cats and dogs with DCM so if you had to go down to bare-minimum meds, pimo is not one of the ones I'd drop in my own cat. You can discuss this with your cardiologist.

        > Since I have already written a book ;-), I will add one more item we looked into.... Taurine. Unfortunately, the doc did not take enough blood to run the Taurine test as planned. As I mentioned, due to the stress of taking her there we felt it was not good to bring her back to take more blood. So we went ahead with the Taurine supplement just in case BUT Boo was not a fan.

        Are you using the cat taurine tabs? These are enormous due to flavoring and no one likes them. You can get taurine from the health food store in different forms, and some cat supplements like Nu-Cat have it in small amounts. I did know of a single cat who had DCM due to low taurine while on a commercial food so I'd hate to leave a stone uncovered, if you know what I mean. When is your next appointment? Is there any chance your local vet or vet tech would come over to your house to draw blood? I think it's very unlikely that it's due to taurine but since the problem is mostly reversible if it is, it's hard to justify not checking it out if at all possible.
      • kittykatwhiskas
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2011
          Hi Adriann,

          I spoke with the cardiologist yesterday and she also felt it was important to try the Pimobendan again. So we started it this morning with a lower dose just once a day to see how she reacts. If after a week she is not having bad side effects we will increase the dose. I feel better baby stepping into it. The cardio tells me there is not a lot of research for the effects of Pimo on cats, mainly dogs with DCM which it has proven to help. After getting your message and reading some others who have cats on Pimo I felt more confident giving it another try.

          Thank you so much for the information and guidance.

          Laurie

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2011
            Hi Lyn,

            Thanks so much for your message and I am so happy to hear your cat has beaten the odds, majorily! It gives me hope for my baby girl :-)

            I spoke with the cardiologist yesterday and we have decided to try the Pimobendan again, a lower dose just once a day to see the reaction. If that goes well, we will increase the dose in a week.

            The cardiologist told me Boo's potassium was normal in her recent blood work, and also told me low blood pressure would not stem from the Lasix. She seemed to think the dizzy episodes were more from a lack of cardio output, which she feels the Pimobendan will help.

            Laurie and Boo