Yukis recent bloodwork:

  • maureen.fogg
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 28, 2011
      Just wondering if anyone has comments on the following aberrations in Yukis blood work.
      She has
      High BUN (Urea Nitrogen) - 48
      High Amylase 2096
      High WBC 19.4
      High Neutrophils 14162
      High/Normal Monocytes
      Low platelet count of 171.

      Here are some other numbers: (first number is her score)
      Total Bilirubin 0.1 0.1-0.4 mg/dL
      Urea Nitrogen 48 14-36 mg/dL HIGH
      Creatinine 1.9 0.6-2.4 mg/dL
      BUN/Creatinine Ratio 25 4-33 Ratio
      Phosphorus 4.9 2.4-8.2 mg/dL
      Glucose 72 64-170 mg/dL
      Calcium 10.2 8.2-10.8 mg/dL
      Magnesium 2.1 1.5-2.5 mEq/L
      Sodium 154 145-158 mEq/L
      Potassium 4.0 3.4-5.6 mEq/L
      Na/K Ratio 39
      Chloride 110 104-128 mEq/L
      Cholesterol 173 75-220 mg/dL
      Triglycerides 41 25-160 mg/dL

      Am currently trying to get urine sample for testing. Vet talking about putting Yuki on antibiotics as there seems to be infection/inflamation.
      Any comments please post.
      Thank you.
      Maureen
    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 29, 2011
        Is this routine bloodwork or is she ill? How old is she? Any other previous diagnoses? Is she on a high-protein diet?

        Cat platelets are notoriously clumpy after a blood draw so the lab should have done a visual platelet estimate -- if you have the lab report, most will give an absolute number and then an estimate ("low" "high" "adequate").

        The best way to check for a urinary tract infection is with a cystocentesis (taking urine straight from the bladder) and urine culture. A "free catch" sample will have contaminants.

        The glucose is pretty low for a cat at the vet -- cats will usually have over 100 just from stress. If she's not a diabetic on insulin, I wouldn't worry about it, but it's odd.

        There are no numbers for liver function tests (ALP, ALT, AST, GGT) -- was this sent to an outside lab?

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maureen.fogg" <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:

        > Just wondering if anyone has co
      • MAUREEN FOGG
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 29, 2011
          Hi, I have a mobile pet vet who gives the blood/urine to an outside lab for
          analysis as she doesnt have an office. She is almost 5 years old and has HCM
          with CHF. Is currently stable on .10-.15ml lasix and 1.25 vetmedin twice a day.
          Also on coq10, dasuquin, vitamin and mineral tab, and natto each day. Recently
          (this summer) she needed .18 - .20 ml of lasix twice a day to stay out of CHF -
          now it is about 1/2 that.  She doesnt eat well - when she first went into CHF in
          April of 2011 she weighed about 12 lbs and now she is 9.6 lbs. The vet says the
          numbers indicate infection or inflamation so I gave her a urine sample last
          night and should get the results tomorrow. She is not on a high protein diet but
          gets EVO dry food and she gets tuna and shrimp and fancy feast wet food.  She is
          very picky and allergic to chicken and I suspect beef so I stick to the fish.
          The lab did say adequate about the platelets.
          Thank you.

          Here are all the numbers:
          Total Protein 7.9 5.2-8.8 g/dL
          Albumin 3.8 2.5-3.9 g/dL
          Globulin 4.1 2.3-5.3 g/dL
          Albumin/Globulin Ratio 0.9 0.35-1.5 Ratio
          AST (SGOT) 30 10-100 U/L
          ALT (SGPT) 38 10-100 U/L
          Alk Phosphatase 19 6-102 U/L
          GGTP <5 1-10 U/L
          Total Bilirubin 0.1 0.1-0.4 mg/dLUrea Nitrogen 48 14-36 mg/dL HIGHCreatinine 1.9
          0.6-2.4 mg/dL
          BUN/Creatinine Ratio 25 4-33 Ratio
          Phosphorus 4.9 2.4-8.2 mg/dLGlucose 72 64-170 mg/dL
          Calcium 10.2 8.2-10.8 mg/dL
          Magnesium 2.1 1.5-2.5 mEq/L
          Sodium 154 145-158 mEq/L
          Potassium 4.0 3.4-5.6 mEq/L
          Na/K Ratio 39
          Chloride 110 104-128 mEq/L
          Cholesterol 173 75-220 mg/dL
          Triglycerides 41 25-160 mg/dLAmylase 2096 100-1200 U/L HIGHLipase 87 0-205 U/L
          CPK 150 56-529 U/L
          CommentHemolysis 1+ No significant interferenceWBC 19.4 3.5-16.0 103/μL HIGHRBC
          9.05 5.92-9.93 10
          Hemoglobin 12.1 9.3-15.9 g/dL
          Hematocrit 35.3 29-48 %
          MCV 39 37-61 fL
          MCH 13.4 11-21 pg
          MCHC 34.3 30-38 g/dL6/μLPlatelet Count 171 200-500 103/μL LOWPlatelet count
          reflects the minimum number due to platelet clumping.Platelet EST Adequate
          Adequate
          Differential Absolute %Neutrophils 14162 73 2500-8500 /uL HIGHBands 0 0 0-150
          /uL
          Lymphocytes 4074 21 1200-8000 /uL
          Monocytes 582 3 0-600 /uL
          Eosinophils 582 3 0-1000 /uL
          Basophils 0 0 0-150 /uL

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 29, 2011
            FYI:
            I got the results from her urinalysis and there is no infection or
            abnormalities.
            Maureen

          • acrocat@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 29, 2011
              Hi Maureen

              The urinalysis done for your kitty doesn't say if there is an infection or not. It's less likely (they often see bacteria in urine when there's an infection) but the gold standard is a urine culture which puts the urine in a rich medium to see if any bacteria grow. That wasn't done. Since your kitty is on Lasix, her urine is more dilute and that is a risk factor for UTIs in cats.

              Are you going to try out a course of antibiotics? I guess I don't see the harm except that antibiotics can cause diarrhea and inappetance.

              I'm sorry to hear that she's not eating well since her diagnosis. That stinks :( I'm curious if her cardiologist put her on pimobendan?

              Adriann
            • MAUREEN FOGG
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 30, 2011
                Hi Adriann,
                Yes - the cardiologist put her on the pimo...  When she first went into chf and
                the increases in lasix pills were not working he added the pimo - she still kept
                going into chf , so finally what did the job was the lasix injections - I was
                giving .20 - .24ml twice a day and that worked.  Now however .15 twice a day is
                working (perhaps because she is lighter?). I keep searching for a way to lower
                the lasix - perhaps dandelion? because Im afraid of kidney disease - I dont
                think I could handle kidney disease on top of heart disease... Giving the
                injections twice a day is really upsetting to me (and Yuki), I cannot imagine
                trying to get fluids into her. I dont understand why the lasix pills dont work
                on her either... My vet would like her to go on antibiotics - I am on the fence
                - last time she was on them she really stopped eating and I had to discontinue
                them mid way through the 10 days. Since I have been giving Yuki the dasuquin she
                has not had a noticible UTI.  Prior to the dasuquin she was starting to get them
                - she had two or three in a row.
                Any advise?
                Thanks
                Maureen

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 30, 2011
                  Hi Maureen

                  Do you use an insulin needle for the injections? You can use insulin syringes for injections and they are very tiny, and it's easier to measure the drug as well. You can ask your regular vet for guidance on this.

                  I don't know where you are, but if it's possible I would get an ultrasound of her belly. You can find a board certified internist for a consult and ultrasound if you're in the US or Canada by checking out acvim.org . Her previous "UTIs" may not have been an infection but rather cystitis (dasuquin helps cystitis, not infection) and it'd be great to see how her bladder looks, and to make sure there are no stones in there causing irritation.

                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, MAUREEN FOGG <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:
                  >I keep searching for a way to lower
                  > the lasix - perhaps dandelion? because Im afraid of kidney disease - I dont
                  > think I could handle kidney disease on top of heart disease...

                  This point comes up sometimes so I'll mention this again here. Lasix does not cause kidney disease per se. It is not toxic to the kidneys. Renal values go up (that's called azotemia) on Lasix because Lasix is dehydrating; a cat on Lasix will then have "pre-renal" azotemia. The pre-renal means that it's not the kidney's fault--they are not working poorly, causing the azotemia; there is less blood flow through the kidneys, that's the cause. Prolonged severe dehydration due to anything can cause organ damage, so that's the only way to get actual organ damage due to lasix.

                  Now unfortunately, once a cat or dog is on Lasix, it's impossible to tell if they do get renal disease (from old age) because the parameters we use to measure kidney activity are skewed by the Lasix. So do some of these old CHF cats have a decline in kidney function over the years? I bet they do, but it's not due to Lasix.

                  A 5 year old cat like yours, whose kidneys were normal before the Lasix, is going to still have normal kidneys. If she were to become too azotemic (this could happen if she stops eating but is still getting her Lasix), the therapy could just be to get her eating and *temporarily* stop the Lasix. Meaning, her pre-renal azotemia would disappear without the Lasix. Does this all make sense?
                • MAUREEN FOGG
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 30, 2011
                    Thank you. I dont know what kind of needle I use - but I will check it out at
                    home. That is a really good idea if it is a smaller needle.  I could also ask my
                    mobile vet where to get an ultrasound of her belly  or look on the website- this
                    will diagose cystitis? We did not know which it was - an infection or cystitis
                    when we gave the antibiotics to her before - but if the dasuquin is keeping her
                    from having the straining problem and blood in her urine - then maybe it was
                    cystitis because she hasnt had a problem since she has been on the dasuquin.
                    As far as the lasix and kidney discussion goes - i think I understand  but i
                    have questions:
                    1. What will "pre-renal" azotemia do to her?
                    2. Wont she have prolonged dehydration because of the lasix at somepoint and
                    wont this cause kidney disease?  And how long does this take to occur?
                     I try very hard to keep her hydrated by always bringing her glasses of water
                    etc,  but it appears from her low appetite that she is still dehydrated.
                    Another thing that sometimes happens (it happened last night). Was that her
                    lasix shot was due and she drank alot of water that I offered her and she went
                    into CHF.  It took me alot of lasix after that to get her out of it.  This makes
                    me worry that if she is ever "properly hydrated" ,will she go into chf just
                    because there is more liquid in her system to drown in?  Or do you think that if
                    she had enough lasix in her that she could drink as much as she wanted and I
                    wouldnt have to worry about her going into CHF?  After this happened last night
                    I was very hesitant about letting her have as much water as she wants - and I
                    know that is a bad thing.  Does all this make sense - I feel like im rambling.
                    Also - how could I stop the lasix to get her to eat as  she goes into chf when
                    she is not on it.
                    Thanks again,
                    Maureen

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 30, 2011
                      Hi Maureen

                      There is some weird formatting thing with your post so correct me if I've misunderstood something.

                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, MAUREEN FOGG <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:
                      > Thank you. I dont know what kind of needle I use - but I will check it out at
                      > home.

                      In the US these are tiny needles with orange or red caps.

                      > I could also ask my
                      > mobile vet where to get an ultrasound of her belly  or look on the website- this
                      > will diagose cystitis?

                      The ultrasound can look for a bladder that is chronically irritated, and can also look for stones, "sand" (crystals), and for kidney stones.

                      > 1. What will "pre-renal" azotemia do to her?

                      Do you mean long-term? It doesn't do anything, it doesn't have anything to do with her actual kidney function. Some cats don't feel good when they are very azotemic (no matter what the cause), however.

                      > 2. Wont she have prolonged dehydration because of the lasix at somepoint and
                      > wont this cause kidney disease?  And how long does this take to occur?

                      Her kidney values actually aren't bad now, so she's not dehydrated enough for it to be strongly reflected in her blood work.

                      >  I try very hard to keep her hydrated by always bringing her glasses of water
                      > etc,  but it appears from her low appetite that she is still dehydrated.

                      Why do you think her low appetite is due to dehydration?

                      > Another thing that sometimes happens (it happened last night). Was that her
                      > lasix shot was due and she drank alot of water that I offered her and she went
                      > into CHF.

                      I don't understand, why do you say that she went into CHF? This did not have to do with her drinking water, that's a coincidence.

                      > It took me alot of lasix after that to get her out of it.  This makes
                      > me worry that if she is ever "properly hydrated" ,will she go into chf just
                      > because there is more liquid in her system to drown in?

                      Water put into the stomach is different than water put into the blood, so you shouldn't have a problem with her drinking water. I can't look up your bloodwork as I'm writing this, but I don't remember it showing her to have any significant dehydration. I dont' know why you say she's dehydrated now?

                      > Also - how could I stop the lasix to get her to eat as  she goes into chf when
                      > she is not on it.

                      I mentioned it because a vet might do it if she was hospitalized. She needs the Lasix in order to breathe, in order to live, and it should never be stopped unless she's under a vet's care.
                    • MAUREEN FOGG
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 31, 2011
                        Please Help! Last two days she is in CHF.
                         Thursday nite went into chf
                        Thursday nite gave total of .50 ml. in .10ml increments. she slept well - was ok
                        fri AM.
                        Gave .24 ml Fri AM.
                        Friday nite went into chf again.
                        Friday nite gave total of .7 ml same way. her BPM went up to 70.
                        She coughed up some pink liquid. She finally calmed and slept
                        This am gave .24ml at 6:40 - her BPM was at 26 but her chest still sounded
                        crackley.
                        She started making loud crackley noises and her breath sounded wet so I gave
                        .25ml at 11.20am.

                        Right now at 11:56 Her heart rate at 30 bpm.
                        her chest sounds a little less crackly but squeeky.

                        What do I do?

                        ________________________________

                      • elfinmyst@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 31, 2011
                          Hi

                          She needs emergency care if the lasix isn't working. That means the cardiac
                          hospital if possible, She made need a combination of diuretics given
                          intravenously. Do not wait, the pink liquid is fluid on the lungs and it is an
                          absolute emergency.

                        • MAUREEN FOGG
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 31, 2011
                            Now BPM down to 27,  crackling seems gone for now.  Still a little squeeking
                            sound with breath when I put my ear to her chest - but cannot hear a crackle.

                            Why does she keep going into CHF?  She is getting a LOT of lasix.  However when
                            she feels well she starts to dring a LOT.  THEN she starts
                            to crackle again... and then her breathing gets faster.  I didnt think that
                            drinking would bring on CHF but it seems to be doing so.
                            Any ideas?
                            Muareen

                          • Carol
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 31, 2011
                              Maureen,

                              From what I understand, when the heart isn't pumping properly, then the fluid can build up faster, causing the repeated episodes of CHF. My angel Sweetie was the same way. She would go into CHF more often at times than others the longer she had her heart disease.

                              I had to limit the amount of water she drank. It's like her body couldn't process the fluids well enough and the fluids would just stay in her system too long. I still let her drink, but I rationed it out... no long drinks, but rather smaller ones spread out more often. She would drink a whole lot a few times a day, so I would only let her drink about maybe 10cc (2 teaspoons) at a time, but spread out more often through the day. Her heart seemed to handle that better than the big drinks less often.

                              I hate when things happen over holiday weekends. If Yuki get very bad, I would go to the emergency. I hope you don't have to and that she stays comfortable now.

                              We'll be praying for Yuki.

                              hugs,
                              Carol and the gang

                              .

                            • acrocat@rocketmail.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 31, 2011
                                Drinking water does not cause pulmonary edema. Yuki needs to be in the hospital. They can get her CHF under control and give her back to you to manage at home. Please do not let her gasp for breath at home. I hope you're at the ER already.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 31, 2011
                                  I know that drinking fluids isn't supposed to cause CHF, but every time my angel Sweetie drank too much she went into CHF. Our vet told us to limit her water intake.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 31, 2011
                                    Thank you ALL so much for your help through this latest crisis. I went to the
                                    emergency room.  The Dr there said she was pink and pretty stable as far
                                    as breathing went and so they xrayed her. Her xrays showed only a small amount
                                    of pulmonary edema. The Dr. advised me to give .25 ml lasix sub-q every 8 hours
                                    as opposed to every 12.  I hope this is temporary until we can dry up her
                                    lungs.  I dont want her to be on this much lasix all the time. The past 3 days
                                    she as gone into chf everytime she drank a bunch so I cant help but believe that
                                    it was making the chf worse while she was already having a bad time...
                                    She is running around and eating now - She is making me CRAZY.

                                    Thanks again for all the well wishes and advise.
                                    Maureen

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 1, 2012
                                      Hi Carol

                                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Carol <carolroar@...> wrote:

                                      > I know that drinking fluids isn't supposed to cause CHF, but every time my angel Sweetie drank too much she went into CHF. Our vet told us to limit her water intake.

                                      Hmmm I wonder if the explanation is that as fluid from the rest of her body was sequestering in her lungs (pulmonary edema), she felt thirsty and drank more. I'd guess that she was drinking to replace the fluid, not building fluid up through drinking. In that case, the thirst would be an early sign of sorts.