Re: [FH] % Sodium in Canned Food

  • Toby Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 24, 2011
      Hi,

      Just a quick response on Christmas eve!

      1. Unfortunately Janet & Binky's chart is out of date (5+ years on some of the foods).  I started crunching numbers (hey, I took stats in undergrad and grad school!) and was coming up with numbers that were way off of hers.  I then poked around the internet and eventually came across Tanya's CRF page, which has an AMAZING list of updated food information; her numbers lined up with mine too!

      2. Weruva is a "strange" food (to me) when you look at the numbers.  The fat levels are incredibly low (i.e. Chicken & Gravy has 8% fat based on DMA), too low for cats in fact (from what I've read they should be eating 20 to 40% fat).  I agree the high water content is good, but I know that when I was struggling to get my cat to eat, the calories were just as important.  Weruva has about half the calories as other cat foods (Wellness, Evo), meaning that you have to feed twice as much to get your cats the same amount of calories.  The price isn't an issue; when my cat was sick, getting him to eat was.  Evo and Wellness both run ~75% moisture, which is good enough in my book.

      3. Yeah, weight is a correlational issue to outcomes, not causational.  Big shoes don't cause big feet, I suppose :)

      Happy Holidays everyone!