another problem

  • Cont Marie
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2011
      Hello,
      My cat had a loud gurgling in the stomach while drinking, as if she were hungry.
      Do you think it can result from the aspirin (5mg twice a week) she's been on since the end of Septembre?

      Thanks,
      Marie.

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2011
        Hi

        I am sorry I have no idea what could cause that except possibly gulping air
        with the water ?

      • Cont Marie
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 14, 2011
          Hi Lyn,
          Thanks for your mail.

          I was worried it could be gastritis...
          Marie

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2011
            How stomach ulcers can be diagnosed?

            I will go to the normal vet next tuesday to do the bloodwork. We will then know how my cats'kidneys bear the treatment.
            In case she has now some renal problems too, is there some treatment to regulate the excretion of gastrin that a heart kitty can take?

            The problem as far as the aspirin is concerned, is that I can't get an appointment with the cardiologist before the beginning of January (the soonest).

            If I want an appointment during the holidays, it will be with an internist (a student vet in cardiology), and of course, I would prefer to deal with the most possible experienced person.

            She is supposed to have 5mg of aspirin again on friday and monday night, before I can have information tuesday about, at least, the state of her kidneys...
            For now, I have not heard those gurgles again (it sounded as if her stomach were empty). I can see her drinking a bit more than before, that's all.

            Plavix is not easily given in France right now. Is it safer for the kidneys and the GI system?

            How is it possible to check the platelets though (which is something that has to be monitored in humans on Plavix)?

            Thank you so much for your precious help,
            Marie.

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 15, 2011
              Hi,

              Here's info on diagnosing stomach ulcers in dogs. I think it pretty much applies to cats as well. All of this does not necessarily have to be done. When my first ever CRF cat vomited foam with blood in it, I was pretty sure there was an ulcer somewhere. Some things were done to rule out other things such as an obstruction, which can quickly become lethal, but what remained was a probable ulcer. Usually if the kitty has a condition such as CRF or is on medication known to cause ulcers, the diagnosis is pretty much by symptoms, GI bleeding, (occult) blood in feces, vomit with blood, drop in HCT/PVC
              etc...

              http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health-Center/Digestive-Disorders/Ulcers/Diagnosis.aspx

              Unfortunately, it seems the GI risks are there with Plavix as well at least in theory. There's of course no knowing how an individual kitty will respond to a specific med before using it.

              http://www.drugs.com/sfx/plavix-side-effects.html

              Aspirin is an NSAID, so about the last thing a kitty's kidneys need. That doesn't mean that there will necessarily be a problem, but I wouldn't consider it risk-free. I do not know how Plavix compares with aspirin in this regard. Maybe others have information about that?

              If medication is needed for excess stomach acid, people usually use either ranitidine or famotidine. I've never had to deal with this problem in a heart kitty, so I'm not sure how safe these meds are for them. A question for the vet maybe. Some gurgling wouldn't make me start medicating straight away. If it was accompanied by nausea, vomiting or lack of appetite, then I'd consider it. The first, most natural and risk-free thing I'd do is to feed small meals throughout the day, leave food out at night too and make sure the kitty has some food in the stomach before giving meds. If there's a suspicion of an ulcer, sucralfate is often used. Again, haven't used it with a heart kitty.

              I hope it's just a one time gurgling thing and all of this will be unnecessary :-).

              Henna & Angel Leo