Re: Worried about dental work

  • joanne marbut
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2011
      Now sounds like a good time then.  Just make sure the tech/vet knows about the condition, is choosing the right type of anesthesia (I was once told there are different types that can be used for patients with heart issues), and that critical care can be provided if anything happens.  They will put a breathing vent down the cat's throat for the procedure (my non-HCM cat had his teeth cleaned last year) so make sure they listen afterwards for any congestion in the lungs. Maybe they could xray afterwards. You could always make a follow-up appointment for the next day with the cardiologist. The other issue is that cleaning the teeth can release bacteria into the blood stream. Ask the vet about pre or post antibiotics to ward off any heart infection. This is what they recommend for human patients with heart murmurs and heart disease. Whether this vet does it or another vet or a vet school, make sure you feel comfortable with the person/people involved and
      that you feel that you are able to ask questions, get answers, and that you understand the procedures.  Good luck!