Tanner - new diagnosis and kidney problems

  • Kimberly
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2011
      Hi all. I just joined the group today after my Tanner was diagnosed with HCM just before Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any experience with this diagnosis in combination with kidney problems? My sweet boy is having a kidney ultrasound today after so much weight loss following the HCM diagnosis (maybe from the effects of the diuretics? idk), the vet could feel that his kidneys are "very bumpy and irregular". He also started getting little bumps all over his body (one of which was biopsied yesterday, no results yet).

      The vet explained that the treatments for heart and kidneys are complete opposites - the CHF requires minimizing fluids but the kidneys need fluids - so we are trying to come up with the most critical issue my kitty has and be able to make the best decisions for him. Just wondering if anyone has any background with this. I have a feeling the vet suspects renal lymphoma.. :(

      FYI, I adopted Tanner 3 years ago and don't know how old he is exactly. The vet believes he is probably 10 or 11, but he has aged SIGNFICANTLY in the past few months.

      Thanks in advance,
      Kim
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2011
        HI Kim

        I am sorry to hear about Tanner being poorly. Your vet is correct that it
        is a balance to treat heart and kidneys, one treatment adversely affects the
        other. The key is balance but the heart treatment has to come first. What
        medication is he on and what dose? Has he had blood tests to measure his
        kidney values?

        With weight loss and his age, has he had his thyroid hormone level checked?
        That can cause secondary HCM and should be checked in any older kitty
        losing weight. It is going to be a balance of diuretics and subcutaneous fluids
        which you can give him. I`ve never needed to do that so someone with more
        experience should help there.

        Are the little bumps under the skin or on the skin?

      • Toby Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2011
          I danced the CHF/CRF dance with my little Eli before he passed away.  It is torture, I empathize with you.  If I could do it all over again I would have made sure he was eating a wet food, and not a dry food, for the extra moisture.  I would strongly encourage you to transition your kitty to wet food if he is not eating it already.  Eli became so dehydrated in the end (kidney values skyrocketed) that when we tried to rehydrate him, it pushed him into CHF.  Also, if your kitty isn't taking Benazepril yet, talk to your vet about it.  I believe research supports Benazepril having a positive effect on kidneys.

          My thoughts are with you.

          Ryan