Re: is this the start of chf?

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
      Hi Karen

      I am sorry to hear of Zax being poorly. Respiration rates over 30 at rest
      are a red flag, but if he was dreaming or hot it could go over 30. If mine
      are asleep and breathing quickly I just gently say their name or touch them
      and they then go back to a more peaceful breathing rate as it's usually
      just a dream..

      WHat dose of medications is he on? It's good he has been caught early and
      can have treatment to help stabilise his disease. Another thing you can do
      to help is add the supplement cardiostrength which seems to be very
      beneficial for my 3 cats who take it. If you are worried about clots you can add
      nattokinase supplement as well which is available on the internet, but you
      need a version with the vitaminK removed like Doctor's Best.

      Lasix lasts 8 hours so if his breathing is fast again in the morning,
      you'll know he's building up fluid and then its time to ring the vet/cardio and
      discuss upping the dose of lasix. It's absolutely fine to give an extra
      dose if you are ever worried, unless they're already on the maximum dose, I do
      it when needed.

    • joanne marbut
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
        Lasix can tax the kidneys and extra doses between scheduled meds shouldn't be given. So, unless the vet says it's o.k. to give an extra dose, I wouldn't.  It's normal for cats breathing to rapidly rise and fall even when still. It's the duration of time that matters-if the cat continues for five minutes then there may be a problem; if it subsides after a couple then it's normal. Heat, dreams, play, eating-they can all make a cat breathe fast. Cats are naturally apprehensive/anxious/ready to run creatures and when very alert, may also breathe fast.  If your cat was having an episode, then the ER/vet would be the first place to go because the cat might need IV lasix and oxygen to halt the progression of CHF.  If you have another cat who isn't sick or can watch someone else's normal cat, you'll see the breathing fluctuates.  It's only because you are aware now of your cat because of the disease that you are noticing every little change. But that's also
        good. You'll know how the cat is reacting to the disease, to the meds, to situations and will notice the day to day changes in the cat.  My cat, when beginning a CHF episode-of which she's had two since initially sick two years ago-became anxious, needed a lot of attention and petting, and then I noticed her chest didn't subside after a few minutes. One episode she seemed to have a glazed over look and couldn't seem to move about well and collapsed. Signs of pain, anxiety, heavy breathing, glazed looks, inability to register their surroundings, and inability to move or a collapse are possible signs to look for in your cat.