Re: can the furosemid sometimes be stopped?

  • joanne marbut
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2011
      Marie,
      I agree with Adriann.  If you're noticing the cat is better the days she takes lasix, then she needs it each day. While my cat receives a 1/4  three times a day, your cat might need 1/4 of a pill a day or twice a day. The object is to keep down and away the edema. Stick with lasix but I would do it daily. Discuss it with the vet the amount needed.  Get the echo when you can because it's a great diagnostic tool. Stick with the doctor who said that the cat needs lasix and avoid the one who seems not to understand the situation.  The cat won't like going to the vet but it's necessary. The more you go, the calmer the cat will be in the car and at the vet (at least mine is but getting her into the carrier at home is another story. I need lots of patience, a quiet atmosphere, and must pretend that nothing is going on AND I don't move the carrier until I have her in my arms.)  As for the kidneys, if the heart isn't working, the kidneys won't either and the
      body will shut down. A potassium supplement will help the kidneys and Spironolactone as I've mentioned before.

      You must make decisions and choose a course of action based on what you know and the vet knows and then stick with that for a few hours or days and see how the cat responds. Then if you see an adverse reaction, call the vet and make another decision based on what is happening at that moment. As time goes by, you will learn more about your cat, the disease, the reactions of the meds, etc. and will be better informed for future decision making.

      -Joanne