Re: any one use baby aspirin long term or atenolol

  • Cher Paul
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2011
      My 16-yr-old Maine Coon also has cardiomyopathy. My vet explained that the
      problem is a component in aspirin; I think it's salicylate, so any
      medication containing salicylate carries the same concern. It's not toxic
      per se, but cats metabolize it very slowly, so the danger is that it
      accumulates to toxic levels.

      You don't say how big your cat it, nor the dosage. Aspirin should be dosed
      by weight. Raisin is 19 pounds and gets 81mg (a "baby aspirin"; now called
      "low-dose aspirin") 3x weekly. He's got lots of health issues now, and we're
      definitely in the keeping him comfortable phase of his life - which means we
      might take chances to keep him comfortable. Still, our vet discourages any
      more aspirin than this.

      So yes, be very careful with this.

      As long as we're discussing it: Can anyone comment on the effect of enteric
      coating?

      I have no knowledge of atenolol.

      Cher and the Boyz

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Posted by: "ERIC LEE" pray4animals@... pray4animals
      Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:41 am (PST)

      HI,

      My cat has cardiomyopathy and has been on atenolol and baby aspirin for the
      last 6 months. I am wondering if anyone has had a vet told them they are
      concerned about long term use of aspirin in cats? I asked my vet about
      plavix yesterday but I am not sure where he stands on it,
      Also anyone have good results with atenolol.

      I amalso giving him a supplememnt called Cardiostrength. I am thinking it
      cant hurt

      Take care
    • Westgold