Re: [FH] Re: Stoppimg CoQ10

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 23, 2011
      On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Westgold <westgold@...> wrote:

      > CoQ10 has been thoroughly rsearched in humans, and almost every doctor knows about it and recommends it to humans with any kind of heart problem.

      My grandmother's doctor apparently does not know about it. (Not a
      great recommendation for him, I guess, but my mother and grandmother
      have both been going to him for years and aren't likely to switch
      doctors any time soon.) This is why I would like more reference
      citations, specifically about stopping it if a patient (in this case
      my grandmother) begins using it then decides for some reason to stop.

      My heart kitty, Clipsy, was on CoQ10 but she died in July. Her
      littermate Willow (who has IBD and/or pancreatitis and/or triaditis)
      and my oldest cat Buttercup (who has asthma) are both on it now and I
      have no plans to stop. I get the CoQ10 powder from NOW Foods and mix
      it into their food twice a day.

      But my current request for reference citations isn't about cats, it's
      about my grandmother and educating her doctor.

      Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
      www.jimsinclair.org
      http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 23, 2011
        Hi Jim,

        Other than what is in the files, I haven't seen any other studies done, but I will do a little research and see what I can find.

        Carol and the gang

      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 23, 2011
          Hi -- as far as I know, lysine only helps herpes. It doesn't cure it, it just stops the germs from making more copies of themselves. If used twice a day everyday forever, it generally keeps the herpes under control. 500 mg twice a day. But once you start you can never stop, or the herpes will come back with a vengeance and be much harder to get under control the second time. Sometimes it takes months to get the herpes under control. When I got my Tigger he had a horrible case of herpes, and it took 3 months of twice daily lysine to get it under control. Even now at age 7, he still has an outbreak every few months for a few days. Herpes unfortunately is forever ...
          From: westgold@...
          Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:17:34 -0500

          CoQ10 has been thoroughly rsearched in humans, and almost every doctor knows about it and recommends it to humans with any kind of heart problem. It is vital when someone is on a statin drug. I wouldn't stop it if your kitty is already on it. The heart gets used to the support it gives, I would never stop it. If price is a concern, puritan.com has a great sale on right now -- the 30 mgs are only $21.98 for 500 -- the 50 mgs are only $33.98 for 500. There are other quantities and doses, etc -- just visit their site. I take the 100 mgs ones myself, they are very tiny white smooth softgels, they'd be very easy to get down a kitty -- or you can poke a hole in them and squeeze the contents into the food. I get all my supplements from puritan -- they also have the best price on Lysine. They sell Natto, but it doesn't state if the Vitamin K has been removed, I keep meaning to write them to ask.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 23, 2011
            I can't believe you couldn't find anything -- just google CoQ10 (probably by its real name Coenzyme Q-10 -- and you'll find thousand of reports and research results. It is possibly the most-studied of all supplements.

          • acrocat@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 24, 2011
              Hi Jim

              As far as general CoQ10 recommendations, you can look at more trusted sites like WebMD or search for the many peer-reviewed medical journal articles.

              Regarding this:

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sinclair <jisincla@...> wrote:
              >This is why I would like more reference
              > citations, specifically about stopping it if a patient (in this case
              > my grandmother) begins using it then decides for some reason to stop.

              As far as I can tell, this caution does not come from any research; it's a theoretical one, supposing that CoQ10 markedly improves heart function in a patient, suddenly stopping it could lead to problems e.g. a decline in heart function (going back to the before CoQ10 level). This is just theoretical, and probably based on high doses of CoQ10 used in patients with specific types of heart disease (diseases involving systolic dysfunction) *with the presumption that it measurably improves cardiac function*. I don't think anyone taking a CoQ10 tablet every morning with breakfast who then misses a dose is in any real trouble.

              Also, if the heart condition is closely monitored, a significant increase in function (if this occurs with CoQ10) should be noted and you'd have a 'heads up' not to change the CoQ10 regimen.

              Adriann