Re: new diagnosis

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2011
      Hi Karen

      I am sorry to hear Zax has HCM and is in heart failure. The medications
      will help hs heart relax and take any fluid off his lungs and hopefully take
      him back out of heart failure since he responded well. Another thing which
      seems to help a lot of kitties here is Cardiostrength (Cardio S in the UK)
      which contains CoQ, carnitine and taurine. It also helps the heart and is
      made by Vetriscience.

      Zax will not reduce his dose of enalapril but if he comes out of heart
      failure he may be able to reduce the lasix. The vet will go through that with
      you after he has his bloods in 12 days.

      You are right that you need to monitor him. I was always told a rrr of up
      to 30 was ok, and needs to be counted whilst resting and not dreaming. Over
      30 was a red flag, as was sitting up like a sphinx and unable to lie down
      comfortably. His respiration rate seems perfectly normal which was great
      news.

      There are other drugs which can be added if and when his condition worsens.
      No one can predict how quickly HCM will progress but the fact he responded
      well is very good news.