RE: [FH] Re: Jessie ~ Looking for input on Atenolol

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 2011
      Hi Ioana; When I was talking about an emergency kit, I was talking about being in a place where there is virtually no veterinary help. So, even though Max was off lasix the doc gave me a script for it...also he gave me Buprenex for emergencies like clots, which Max had and I used it effectively with the lasix to get him through it...we were very lucky and he recovered. At the end of his life I used the buprenex also, just to be sure he wasn't in pain as he passsed. I don't think vets would give out these meds to someone who is close to the vet, although maybe it depends on your relationship and the vet's trust that you would do the right thing; I worked with my vet a lot and he came to respect my opinions (many gained by interacting wtih this group.) eg., after Max's clot, I put him on nattokinasse instead of plavix since I couldn't get the right strength in Mexico...he read up on it and said he thought it was OK (and btw, he didn't have another clot...the vet was VERY impressed with that.)So...if you are far from the vet or emergency service, and have a kitty with heart disease, it may benefit you to have extra lasix, or even injectable lasix as well as buprenex for emergencies (buprenex is kitty morphine, so some vets won't give it without a definite reason, but it sure helped us twice.)good luck...Judi and Angel Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: igboie@...
      Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:06:38 -0800
      Subject: [FH] Re: Jessie ~ Looking for input on Atenolol

      Piperus has been taking Atenolol for the past 6 months, and in the beginning he did some of the harsh swallowing thing- it seemed he almost had to concentrate just on that. Our vet told us it might be related to allergies (dry or itchy throat, draining sinuses- we're in south central Texas), and it eventually went away. I cannot tell you though if it's the same thing or not, it would be best to check with your vet. Not sure if this helps...

      Judi, you mentioned "emergency kit"- what did it consist of? Do vets do that regularly? I always fear those crisis moments and the visits to the emergency vet clinics which stress out the cats even more...

      Thanks,

      Ioana