Re: [FH] sorry but a little urgent Lab questions - Breathing problems

    Banu,  So sorry about Aslan - My Yuki has chronic congestive heart failure - the only thing that helps her breathing is one 12.5 mg lasix pill at 7am and one
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
       So sorry about Aslan - My Yuki has chronic congestive heart failure - the only
      thing that helps her breathing is one 12.5 mg lasix pill at 7am
      and one .20 ml salix (furosemide)  injection 12 hours later at 7 pm.  Sometimes
      if she has been well I will bring the injection down to .18 or so.  Some
      cats do not respond to the oral furosemide (lasix)  so they need some injection.
      I tried one 12.5 mg lasix pill morning and evening and she still went into CHF.
      I think you need to up your lasix to at least every 12 hours and if the pills
      dont work for you - you may need to learn how to inject Aslan to keep

      him out of heart failure.  Dont go by my Yukis dosages - but I think you need to
      go up on your dosages a little at a time so that Aslan can breath.
      Again Im no expert - but when Yuki goes into CHF - and she has already had her
      dose - i will give her another .10 ml injection.  If  another
      1/2 hour goes by and she is still struggling - I will give her another .10
      injection.  Injectible lasix is very fast acting and I have seen Yuki go
      from struggling to playing in  to 15 minutes.  You must make sure Aslan has
      plenty of liquids.
      Try the water from low salt tuna - and add some extra water:  Here is the recipe
      I use:
        I buy low sodium tuna in water at the grocery store - smaller stores may not
      carry it. I then add the can of tuna and juice and just as much water (distilled
      or spring water) into a tupperware (or such) containter.  Mix it up so the
      regular water gets the tuna juice flavor and store this in the fridge. Then
      before taking some out and serving to Yuki (usually 1/2 cup at a time for a
      serving) - I heat it in the micro for 12 seconds on high to get it a little
      warmer than room temp so it gets slightly more aromatic and a little
      stinky.  Then I take some salt substitute (one of those brands in a shaker) that
      you get at the grocery (for people who cannot have salt.) Try to get a brand
      that only has potassium chloride and not a lot of other ingredients.  I
      supplement for Yuki  because of the hefty dose of lasix that Yuki is on because
      the lasix takes potassium out of her system.  I shake the salt substitute about
      4 times on each 1/2 cup serving of tuna/water.  The tuna water helps with
      dehydration as well. You can probably find some salt substitue with very few
      ingredients in the baking isle at your larger grocery store.

      Hope this helps  - let me know of any questions.
      Maureen and Yuki