Re: [FH] Re: My cat is suffering from saddle thrombus and is refusing to eat

  • MAUREEN FOGG
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2011
      Genny - That is fantastic - I honestly dont believe that 100mg of natto will
      give a cat problems as I have given Yuki the whole capsule as well with no
      repercusions - doesnt even affect her appetite.
      To me - nattokinase is the only clot  preventative for cats as the aspirin and
      the plavix dont seem to help (as i have seen so many people post of their cats
      who have clots when they are on both of these meds) and they have terrible side
      effects.  I hope Mao is feeling better.
      Maureen and Yuki

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
        Hello everyone,

        Just a update on Mao. Today he's feeling a bit better, he drinks and eats and goes potty. Also he can hold himself up and walk for a short distant (still wobbly though). Sometimes he growls and hisses, I think his legs still hurt from time to time. But it's great to see him getting better everyday.

        I have a few question on nattokinase. He's on Plavix, lasix, benazepril, and baby aspirin (every 3 days), should I subsitute it to aspirin? Anything I should be aware of if I decide to give him nattokinase?

        Thank you for sharing.

        sweetbun and mao
        xx
      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
          Hi

          I`m glad he is feeling better. You can't give normal aspirin to cats, the
          doses would be too high, baby aspirin is the same drug but can be split to
          give the correct cat dose. I`m not sure if you can give natto at the same
          time as plavix and aspirin. I thought there was a risk to give them together
          of cerebral bleeding.

        • Banu Korgul
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
            He's not feeling any better then yesterday. his front paw is cold for 1,5days.
            We did not see any poop yesterday and the day before,

            Sent via Banu's iPod touch

            On Nov 3, 2011, at 15:15, elfinmyst@... wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I`m glad he is feeling better. You can't give normal aspirin to cats, the
            > doses would be too high, baby aspirin is the same drug but can be split to
            > give the correct cat dose. I`m not sure if you can give natto at the same
            > time as plavix and aspirin. I thought there was a risk to give them together
            > of cerebral bleeding.
            >
            > Lyn

          • Toby Jones
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
              You can't give natto at the same time as Plavix, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Plavix, Natto, and Aspirin should all be given individually.

            • Carol
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
                Yes, that is correct. You do not give Nattokinase with any other blood thinners. Sometimes vets will give aspirin and Plavix at the same time. Aspirin thins the blood - Plavix keeps the blood from being "sticky". Nattokinase digests clots that are already formed and can inhibit the formation of new ones. If your vet is familiar with nattokinase and the use of aspirin and/or concurrently, they would know the exact correct dose to be used with both, but most of the time you take either Nattokinase OR aspirin...NOT BOTH.

                Carol and the gang

                Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
                and the gang

                From: Toby Jones <tobythelegend@...>

                You can't give natto at the same time as Plavix, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Plavix, Natto, and Aspirin should all be given individually

              • mysweetbunbun
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 17, 2012
                  My dear kitty just passed away yesterday morning when my husband found him not moving on the floor just 20 mins after the shower. We rushed him to ER but they could no longer feel his heartbeat. He has been throught a few episodes since his initial one and everytime he could pull himself out.. And this time he sadly couldn't.. how empty the house could feel without his few meows... :(

                  I'd like to thank for all your info and replies at the time I was feeling quite helpness and hopeless(mao was my first and only cat and I didn't have a lot of knowledges on what he was having). Even though he couldn't make it any longer but Im still glad I didn't choose to give up on him at the very beginning.

                  I wish all of your little beloved ones could be a bit more fortunate and recover from what they're going throught.

                  Sweetbun & Mao
                  xxx
                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "mysweetbunbun" <kris7411@...> wrote:

                  > Greeting everyone,
                  >
                  > I gave a bath to my kitty Mao a week ago on sunday, I noticed he was walking strangly right after, a paw on his rear leg was folded like. I thought he's hurt like sprained the joint. I coudn't get him to the vet since it's sunday so I kept an eye on him. The next day he was recovered and walked just fine. However, on Wednesday morning, I found him crying on floor and when he walked he dragged one of his rear legs. Again, I thought the leg was hurt. I've had never thought about it would be life threating until he started panting.
                  >
                  > Last time he was panting like that was a few days after he received his shots (rabies, asthma) a couple month ago. They found his lung was filled with fluid. He's fine after hospitalized overnight.
                  >
                  > From the panting we knew it's emergency and we sent him to the vet right away. Doctor told us Mao most likely was suffering from CHF and saddle thrombus, which could cause his rear legs to be partially paralyzed like that, also paws were cool to touch. But to be comfirmed she sent us to another vet to get ultrasound on heart the next day. At the mean time, Mao was hospitalized overnight.
                  >
                  > Thursday, we picked up Mao and drove him down to the vet to get his ultrasound done. Result came back that he has feline heart disease and saddle thrombus.
                  >
                  > He's on plavix, benazepril, lasix, along with baby aspirin and buprenorphine for pain.
                  >
                  > He seemed to be doing better since then until yesterday morning :( He threw up and been refusing to eat or drink. His rear paws are cold and he could barely move them. I called the vet for advise, also seeing if putting him on IV would help. But since I couldn't really afford anyting right now, she said nothing really could be done and asked us to consider euthanasia.
                  >
                  > Im very worried about him and feel so helpless. I don't know what I could do to help him. Right now he's been staying in bed or chair resting. I've been trying to give him some water with a dropper but that's it.
                  >
                  > Could anyone suggest some helps please? Thanks a lot.

                • Judi Levens
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 14, 2013
                    only you can tell, but your cat must be in extreme discomfort/pain. Perhaps you should consider giving him/her the extreme gift of relief...I am so sorry to say this, but surely it is on your mind...you've cared for him all this time...now set him free unless there is a really good prognosis for recovery...hugs...Judi and Angel Max

                    Casa Obelisco
                    Top 10 Most Romantic Bed and Breakfast's Worldwide
                    ForbesTraveller.com, Feb. 2009

                    #1 Most Romantic International B & B 2010: Pamel Lanier

                    To: brengibb@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                    From: carolroar@...
                    Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:40:54 -0400
                    Subject: Fwd: [FH] My cat is suffering from saddle thrombus and is refusing to eat

                    I think you should forward this to the group so others can help you with some answers.

                    If it was my cat, and suffered a saddle thrombosis, I'd take him to the ER vet and get him on meds right away. But please send this to the group to others can offer their ideas. Here's the address. feline-heart@yahoogroups.com,

                    Carol

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                      I'm confused. Has this kitty been to the vet? I agree with Carol. A saddle
                      thrombosis is an emergency situation and kitty needs to be admitted for
                      meds to dissolve the clot.

                      Jo
                      ______________________________

                      In a message dated 6/14/2013 10:41:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      carolroar@... writes:

                      I think you should forward this to the group so others can help you with
                      some answers.

                      If it was my cat, and suffered a saddle thrombosis, I'd take him to the ER
                      vet and get him on meds right away. But please send this to the group to
                      others can offer their ideas. Here's the address.
                      _feline-heart@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:feline-heart@yahoogroups.com) ,

                      Carol

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                        You said he had been diagnosed with saddle thrombosis..... didn't whoever diagnosed him also prescribe some treatment? My own personal opinion is that you need  to get him to the ER right away.

                      • Wendy Solem
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                          Not sure who the original post is from, so I'll respond via the entire group.

                          Saddle thrombosis is painful and life threatening,  ER help should be seeked quickly!!

                          Please have him/her seen by a Dr soon so there is no suffering and any clot that can be dissolved IS dissolved.

                          My Tino had this and was in terrific pain (for no more than 1/2 hour it took to get him to hospital)
                          please don't wait OK?

                          Hate to sound "preachy" but it was the final end for my Tino and I'd hate for that to happen to you!
                          Best wishes,
                          Wendy

                          ________________________________
                          You said he had been diagnosed with saddle thrombosis..... didn't whoever diagnosed him also prescribe some treatment? My own personal opinion is that you need  to get him to the ER right away.

                        • Cindi
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                            Here is some information.

                            http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=189&A=3351&S=2&EVetID=3001459

                            Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
                            There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
                            silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
                            Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
                            from May Eustace's Cats in Clover
                          • rosemairew20
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                              Did the vet not also put him on Heparin? You should talk to them about it.

                              When my cat had saddle thrombus everyone said euthanize. But my vet did a old school treatment of DMSO and saline injected in to each hind leg artery. He had blood flow back in a few days and we did a second treatment 3 days later. It took 2 months for him to walk normally. But I bought a brace to help him walk from ortho vet. But if it wasn't for the DMSO treatment my Baxter wouldn't have made it. I have to treat him once every 2 months because he keeps getting clots. I can't give Plavix because it makes him ill and throw up.

                              I really hope your baby gets better, but have patience and understand that the nerve damage can take 6 weeks to heal.