Re: New Member--Atenolol Question

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
      Hi

      It is perfectly normal for cats starting atenolol or increasing the dose to
      be a lot quieter and sleepier than usual as it lowers the blood pressure.
      This lasts for about 3 days to a week and then they get lively again. I'd
      be more worried at the not eating. Maybe give a meal before you give the
      pill or try him on something he really likes for a few days. He may feel
      sickly the first couple ofdays on his new dose.

    • JudithG
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
        Why the cod liver oil? It's not recommended for cats.

        Salmon oil, yes. For constipation, try slippery elm bark.

        Judith
      • acrocat@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
          Hi Sandi

          Welcome to the group. I would skip tonight's dose and call your vet first thing in the morning to report this. The dose of atenolol is perfectly normal for a cat Jovi's size, but his lack of appetite is a serious concern. How is his breathing? Is he breathing any faster or harder (more belly movement, nostrils flaring)? Has he eaten well the past few days?

          Adriann

          PS Speaking generally, and for you to consider after this is resolved, a lot of cats may do better on a "low carb" canned food diet. You can find a list of foods based on their carbs by googling "Janet & Binky food list."