New Member--Atenolol Question

  • Sandi
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
      Hello Everyone!

      Ten days ago my vet said to increase Jovi's (4 yr old male) Atenolol dosage. I went from giving him 1/8 of a 25mg tab twice a day to 1/4 25mg tab twice a day. I've since noticed that he's calmer and sleeps more. When he does play, it's not for long anymore. He just doesn't seem to be his normal spazstic/curious self. He's also been eating less. Last week Jovi did not eat breakfast Monday & Tuesday. No dinner Wednesday & Friday & Saturday he didn't eat either!! Just 1/5 cup dry food mixed with 1/4 tsp cod liver oil. Jovi is 15lbs-only once in a while will he skip a meal. According to his vet, he needs to lose at least 2 pounds.

      So, getting to my question, do any of you find that Atenolol changes your cat's behavior/appetite?

      Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

      Thank you!
    • christine french
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
        Hi
        My cat karma went off her food n didnt feel so great at first on atenlol,but when she got used to it in her,system she was back to normal.
        Christina n karma

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
          Hi

          It is perfectly normal for cats starting atenolol or increasing the dose to
          be a lot quieter and sleepier than usual as it lowers the blood pressure.
          This lasts for about 3 days to a week and then they get lively again. I'd
          be more worried at the not eating. Maybe give a meal before you give the
          pill or try him on something he really likes for a few days. He may feel
          sickly the first couple ofdays on his new dose.

        • JudithG
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
            Why the cod liver oil? It's not recommended for cats.

            Salmon oil, yes. For constipation, try slippery elm bark.

            Judith
          • acrocat@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
              Hi Sandi

              Welcome to the group. I would skip tonight's dose and call your vet first thing in the morning to report this. The dose of atenolol is perfectly normal for a cat Jovi's size, but his lack of appetite is a serious concern. How is his breathing? Is he breathing any faster or harder (more belly movement, nostrils flaring)? Has he eaten well the past few days?

              Adriann

              PS Speaking generally, and for you to consider after this is resolved, a lot of cats may do better on a "low carb" canned food diet. You can find a list of foods based on their carbs by googling "Janet & Binky food list."