Re: Things looking worse-I'd appreciate any ideas

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2011
      Hi Terri

      I`m sorry Katie is poorly. There is an alternative diuretic which can be
      given in combination with lasix and spares the kidneys. It's called
      spironolactone, so that would certainly be an option. Unfortunately she may have to
      up her lasix to help keep the fluid off her heart. Lasix lasts about 8
      hours so is needed 2-3 times a day to be effective. I understand her kidneys
      are failing, and it's such a balancing act.

      The other thing is she is hyperthyroid. That needs definite treatment as it
      will make her heart worse untreated. Hyperthyroidism can cause secondary
      HCM and treating that may help her failing heart.