My cat is suffering from saddle thrombus and is refusing to eat

  • mysweetbunbun
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 28, 2011
      Greeting everyone,

      I gave a bath to my kitty Mao a week ago on sunday, I noticed he was walking strangly right after, a paw on his rear leg was folded like. I thought he's hurt like sprained the joint. I coudn't get him to the vet since it's sunday so I kept an eye on him. The next day he was recovered and walked just fine. However, on Wednesday morning, I found him crying on floor and when he walked he dragged one of his rear legs. Again, I thought the leg was hurt. I've had never thought about it would be life threating until he started panting.

      Last time he was panting like that was a few days after he received his shots (rabies, asthma) a couple month ago. They found his lung was filled with fluid. He's fine after hospitalized overnight.

      From the panting we knew it's emergency and we sent him to the vet right away. Doctor told us Mao most likely was suffering from CHF and saddle thrombus, which could cause his rear legs to be partially paralyzed like that, also paws were cool to touch. But to be comfirmed she sent us to another vet to get ultrasound on heart the next day. At the mean time, Mao was hospitalized overnight.

      Thursday, we picked up Mao and drove him down to the vet to get his ultrasound done. Result came back that he has feline heart disease and saddle thrombus.

      He's on plavix, benazepril, lasix, along with baby aspirin and buprenorphine for pain.

      He seemed to be doing better since then until yesterday morning :( He threw up and been refusing to eat or drink. His rear paws are cold and he could barely move them. I called the vet for advise, also seeing if putting him on IV would help. But since I couldn't really afford anyting right now, she said nothing really could be done and asked us to consider euthanasia.

      Im very worried about him and feel so helpless. I don't know what I could do to help him. Right now he's been staying in bed or chair resting. I've been trying to give him some water with a dropper but that's it.

      Could anyone suggest some helps please? Thanks a lot.
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 28, 2011
        I'm sorry that Mao had this happen to him. I totally disagree with your vet! Many cats have saddle thrombus and recover. Yes, there are some that don't, but I wouldn't give up just yet.

        It's important to keep him warm and massage his feet and legs. You have to stimulate the circulation so that the warmth comes back into his legs. When our angel Chris had his saddle thrombus, it took about a month before he could use his leg again. His was only one leg that got affected.

        How often are you giving the Plavix and aspirin? How much lasix is he on?

        The medications may be making him nauseated, so try to make sure you get some food into him with the medications, and actually he needs to get food into him for his heart to function properly. The heart muscle will get starved the same as any other organ when they don't eat, causing them to become even more not wanting to eat. We had to syringe feed Chris for a couple of weeks at one point, but the after he became a little stronger, he ate on his own. Also, try to get him to drink, whether it's water or some kind of broth (no spices or salt), or the lasix will dehydrate him. It's a diuretic and takes fluid out of the body, including fluids that the body needs, not just the fluid in his lungs. But you still have to replenish fluids that are not in the lungs, so that his organs function properly.

        We would take warm towels or a blanket that we warmed in the clothes dryer and had Chris lay on them and we wrapped him up in them.

        But stimulating the circulation in his legs and feet is really important. I would massage Chris's feet several times a day. It took about a month for him to be able to walk again, and then it was a few weeks after that that he cold walk normally.

        I hope Mao will improve We'll keep him in our prayers.

        Carol and the gang

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 29, 2011
          Hello

          I am sorry Mao is poorly. The most likely culprit is the aspirin, it made
          my cat so nauseous ans sick she couldn't take it. You need to be massaging
          his paws as Carol says and doing it regularly to help circulation. What has
          he been given to remove the clot. It's normallly heparin, The lasix and
          aspirin will help prevent clots in the future but not treat current clots.

          An alternative is nattokinase with the vitamin K removed like Doctors Best
          . It actuallly breaks down clots which are already present. I use it in two
          of my cats who had clots.

        • Banu Korgul
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 29, 2011
            İ âm sorry to hear your cat is diagnosed with heart disease. But your vet's proposal is outrageous since cats can live long and beautiful years with the diagnosis...
            There are experienced caregivers here, some are more exp then an irdinary vet. Please post the medicine dosages etc and i âm sure you Will be given good advise
            Best of luck

            Sent via Banu's iPod touch

          • acrocat@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 29, 2011
              I'm so sorry to hear this.

              I have to disagree with the other posters here -- IMO, it is likely he's not eating because he's in pain and because he's in congestive heart failure. It's also possible that his kidneys are failing. In these cases, when aggressive medical care (including pain medications) cannot be provided, it is not wrong to consider euthanasia. Some cats survive saddle thrombus and CHF but few will do so without constant veterinary care. If the clot does not begin to dissolve quickly, the tissue in the legs will start to die. The nerves die, so the cat is permanently paralyzed, but the legs themselves will also start to die if the clot hasn't dissolved. If the clot stays in place for several days and then suddenly breaks up, the cat can suffer reperfusion syndrome and this is also uncomfortable and almost always fatal.

              Cats can and do survive saddle thrombus but the survivors almost always suffer another clot soon (days, weeks, months at most) soon after. It seems like your cat has thrown a few clots in a row, so the chances of him having more clots after this are extremely high. I absolutely cannot blame your vet for discussing humane euthanasia with you.

              I'm so very sorry for what you and Mao are going through -- cats have silent heart disease much of the time, so people can have a cat who seems completely healthy then suddenly find themselves making (literal) life & death decisions. It's stunning and heartbreaking to find yourself in the position in which you have found yourself. You have my sympathy and support. Please take care.

              Adriann
            • mysweetbunbun
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 30, 2011
                Thank you all for your replies!

                Mao definitely appears to feel a bit better today! He started to eat and drink, by himself! Just very small amount but it seems a good sign to me! His hind legs still having problem though. Today he was trying to scratch his ear with his rear left leg, he was able to left up the thigh a bit but the front portion is still like "loose", he couldn't move it. The paw on right hind leg is also not working :( They're stil cool to touch, however, I can feel them a bit warmer than before. I've been gently running my fingers and rubbing them like Carol suggested. Hopefully it will stimulate the blood flow in those areas.

                One thing Im corcerning right now is that he's not going potty very often. I usually lay him on a towel in front of the litter box and he'd try to crawl in, so I knew and would pick him up and hold him inside. Today he only peed once :-/ Hopefully tomorrow he'd use it more often than that.

                I read up some of the others stories, all made me cry. I know this disease is uncurable, and in most cases they couldn't make it at the end :( But as long as it's still managable, there's a chance and we'll try our best.

                Drugs he's given,
                - plavix 75mg, 1/4 tab daily
                - Benazepril 10mg, 1/4 tab daily
                - lasix 12.5mg, 1/2 tab twice daily**
                - Buprenorphine 0.1ml/syringe (I only use it when he seems in pain)
                - baby aspirin 81mg 1/4 tab every 3 day

                Since he wasn't eating or drinking I cut down on lasix to once daily for now. Anyone knows if it's a good idea? Or try 1/4 tab twice daily instead? Shall I follow the prescibed dosage once he starts drinking and eating normally?

                Thanks again!
              • MAUREEN FOGG
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 31, 2011
                  Im sorry Mao is not feeling well - Just my 2 cents - but the aspirin/plavix made
                  my Yuki sick and she would not eat.  I put her on Nattokinase instead and she
                  tolerates it fine and there have been no clots.
                  Take care of you both,
                  Maureen

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 31, 2011
                    Hi

                    Aspirin also made my Trixi very sick. She had to stop taking it. She was
                    vomiting violently on the days she had it and refused to eat in between. She
                    has plavix. Josh takes nattokinase.

                  • MAUREEN FOGG
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 1, 2011
                      Hi Genny,
                      I got this dosage from another member - it hasnt bothered Yuki. She gets 100mg
                      split in half twice a day.
                      The brand is Doctor's Best Nattokinase  (with vitamin K removed) -- 2000 FU -
                      roughly 100 mg.  I get it online at Vitacost.com  - currently it is $13.00 for
                      90 capsules.
                      Its a pain to split the capsule - I bought smaller capsules to split these
                      larger ones into and I pill her. I dont remember the size capsule I bought but I
                      can let you know tomorrow - the pills are at home and I dont have power at home
                      right now to use the computer as we got a freak snowstorm.
                      If your cat will be pilled I can send you a bunch of these capsules because I
                      bought a bunch and I dont think I will ever use them up.
                      If it is hard to pill your cat some members divide the capsule and add a little
                      water and syringe it into kittys mouth on an empty stomach.  I try to give on an
                      empty stomach but since I am concerned about Yuki eating I do not withhold food
                      - So sometime she has eaten when I give the capsules.
                      You can also try to split the contents of the pill into the wet food or
                      tuna/water (recipe below) that you give your kitty.  My Yuki can sense doctoring
                      of her food
                      a mile away so this does not work for me.
                      If your Mao is not eating try giving Tuna and Water.  I buy low sodium tuna in
                      water at the grocery store - smaller stores may not carry it. I then add the can
                      of tuna and juice and just as much water (distilled or spring water) into
                      a tupperware (or such) containter.  Mix it up so the regular water gets the tuna
                      juice flavor and store this in the fridge. Then before taking some out and
                      serving to Yuki (usually 1/2 cup at a time for a serving) - I heat it in the
                      micro for 12 seconds on high to get it a little warmer than room temp so it gets
                      slightly more aromatic and a little stinky.  Then I take some salt substitute
                      (one of those brands in a shaker) that you get at the grocery (for people who
                      cannot have salt.) Try to get a brand that only has potassium chloride and not a
                      lot of other ingredients.  I supplement for Yuki  because of the hefty dose of
                      lasix that Yuki is on because the lasix takes potassium out of her system.  I
                      shake the salt substitute about 4 times on each 1/2 cup serving of tuna/water.
                      The tuna water helps with dehydration as well.  I can tell you the brand of salt
                      substitue I have tomorrow as well - but you can probably find some with very few
                      ingredients in the baking isle at your larger grocery store.

                      Hope this helps  - let me know of any questions -  I hope Mao  is feeling better
                      - I love that name - Thats exactly what Yuki sounds like - she doesnt MEOW she
                      has a very stern  "MAO".  ;>
                      Maureen and Yuki

                      ________________________________
                      How much natto do you give Yuki, and what brand?

                      Thanks,

                      Genny

                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, MAUREEN FOGG <maureen.fogg@...> wrote:

                      > Im sorry Mao is not feeling well - Just my 2 cents - but the aspirin/plavix
                      >made
                      > my Yuki sick and she would not eat.  I put her on Nattokinase instead and she
                      > tolerates it fine and there have been no clots.
                      > Take care of you both,
                      > Maureen
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • MAUREEN FOGG
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 2, 2011
                        Genny - That is fantastic - I honestly dont believe that 100mg of natto will
                        give a cat problems as I have given Yuki the whole capsule as well with no
                        repercusions - doesnt even affect her appetite.
                        To me - nattokinase is the only clot  preventative for cats as the aspirin and
                        the plavix dont seem to help (as i have seen so many people post of their cats
                        who have clots when they are on both of these meds) and they have terrible side
                        effects.  I hope Mao is feeling better.
                        Maureen and Yuki

                        ________________________________
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
                          Hello everyone,

                          Just a update on Mao. Today he's feeling a bit better, he drinks and eats and goes potty. Also he can hold himself up and walk for a short distant (still wobbly though). Sometimes he growls and hisses, I think his legs still hurt from time to time. But it's great to see him getting better everyday.

                          I have a few question on nattokinase. He's on Plavix, lasix, benazepril, and baby aspirin (every 3 days), should I subsitute it to aspirin? Anything I should be aware of if I decide to give him nattokinase?

                          Thank you for sharing.

                          sweetbun and mao
                          xx
                        • elfinmyst@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
                            Hi

                            I`m glad he is feeling better. You can't give normal aspirin to cats, the
                            doses would be too high, baby aspirin is the same drug but can be split to
                            give the correct cat dose. I`m not sure if you can give natto at the same
                            time as plavix and aspirin. I thought there was a risk to give them together
                            of cerebral bleeding.

                          • Banu Korgul
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
                              He's not feeling any better then yesterday. his front paw is cold for 1,5days.
                              We did not see any poop yesterday and the day before,

                              Sent via Banu's iPod touch

                              On Nov 3, 2011, at 15:15, elfinmyst@... wrote:

                              > Hi
                              >
                              > I`m glad he is feeling better. You can't give normal aspirin to cats, the
                              > doses would be too high, baby aspirin is the same drug but can be split to
                              > give the correct cat dose. I`m not sure if you can give natto at the same
                              > time as plavix and aspirin. I thought there was a risk to give them together
                              > of cerebral bleeding.
                              >
                              > Lyn

                            • Toby Jones
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
                                You can't give natto at the same time as Plavix, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Plavix, Natto, and Aspirin should all be given individually.

                              • Carol
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
                                  Yes, that is correct. You do not give Nattokinase with any other blood thinners. Sometimes vets will give aspirin and Plavix at the same time. Aspirin thins the blood - Plavix keeps the blood from being "sticky". Nattokinase digests clots that are already formed and can inhibit the formation of new ones. If your vet is familiar with nattokinase and the use of aspirin and/or concurrently, they would know the exact correct dose to be used with both, but most of the time you take either Nattokinase OR aspirin...NOT BOTH.

                                  Carol and the gang

                                  Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
                                  and the gang

                                  From: Toby Jones <tobythelegend@...>

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 17, 2012
                                    My dear kitty just passed away yesterday morning when my husband found him not moving on the floor just 20 mins after the shower. We rushed him to ER but they could no longer feel his heartbeat. He has been throught a few episodes since his initial one and everytime he could pull himself out.. And this time he sadly couldn't.. how empty the house could feel without his few meows... :(

                                    I'd like to thank for all your info and replies at the time I was feeling quite helpness and hopeless(mao was my first and only cat and I didn't have a lot of knowledges on what he was having). Even though he couldn't make it any longer but Im still glad I didn't choose to give up on him at the very beginning.

                                    I wish all of your little beloved ones could be a bit more fortunate and recover from what they're going throught.

                                    Sweetbun & Mao
                                    xxx
                                    --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "mysweetbunbun" <kris7411@...> wrote:

                                    > Greeting everyone,
                                    >
                                    > I gave a bath to my kitty Mao a week ago on sunday, I noticed he was walking strangly right after, a paw on his rear leg was folded like. I thought he's hurt like sprained the joint. I coudn't get him to the vet since it's sunday so I kept an eye on him. The next day he was recovered and walked just fine. However, on Wednesday morning, I found him crying on floor and when he walked he dragged one of his rear legs. Again, I thought the leg was hurt. I've had never thought about it would be life threating until he started panting.
                                    >
                                    > Last time he was panting like that was a few days after he received his shots (rabies, asthma) a couple month ago. They found his lung was filled with fluid. He's fine after hospitalized overnight.
                                    >
                                    > From the panting we knew it's emergency and we sent him to the vet right away. Doctor told us Mao most likely was suffering from CHF and saddle thrombus, which could cause his rear legs to be partially paralyzed like that, also paws were cool to touch. But to be comfirmed she sent us to another vet to get ultrasound on heart the next day. At the mean time, Mao was hospitalized overnight.
                                    >
                                    > Thursday, we picked up Mao and drove him down to the vet to get his ultrasound done. Result came back that he has feline heart disease and saddle thrombus.
                                    >
                                    > He's on plavix, benazepril, lasix, along with baby aspirin and buprenorphine for pain.
                                    >
                                    > He seemed to be doing better since then until yesterday morning :( He threw up and been refusing to eat or drink. His rear paws are cold and he could barely move them. I called the vet for advise, also seeing if putting him on IV would help. But since I couldn't really afford anyting right now, she said nothing really could be done and asked us to consider euthanasia.
                                    >
                                    > Im very worried about him and feel so helpless. I don't know what I could do to help him. Right now he's been staying in bed or chair resting. I've been trying to give him some water with a dropper but that's it.
                                    >
                                    > Could anyone suggest some helps please? Thanks a lot.

                                  • Judi Levens
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 14, 2013
                                      only you can tell, but your cat must be in extreme discomfort/pain. Perhaps you should consider giving him/her the extreme gift of relief...I am so sorry to say this, but surely it is on your mind...you've cared for him all this time...now set him free unless there is a really good prognosis for recovery...hugs...Judi and Angel Max

                                      Casa Obelisco
                                      Top 10 Most Romantic Bed and Breakfast's Worldwide
                                      ForbesTraveller.com, Feb. 2009

                                      #1 Most Romantic International B & B 2010: Pamel Lanier

                                      To: brengibb@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: carolroar@...
                                      Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:40:54 -0400
                                      Subject: Fwd: [FH] My cat is suffering from saddle thrombus and is refusing to eat

                                      I think you should forward this to the group so others can help you with some answers.

                                      If it was my cat, and suffered a saddle thrombosis, I'd take him to the ER vet and get him on meds right away. But please send this to the group to others can offer their ideas. Here's the address. feline-heart@yahoogroups.com,

                                      Carol

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                                        I'm confused. Has this kitty been to the vet? I agree with Carol. A saddle
                                        thrombosis is an emergency situation and kitty needs to be admitted for
                                        meds to dissolve the clot.

                                        Jo
                                        ______________________________

                                        In a message dated 6/14/2013 10:41:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        carolroar@... writes:

                                        I think you should forward this to the group so others can help you with
                                        some answers.

                                        If it was my cat, and suffered a saddle thrombosis, I'd take him to the ER
                                        vet and get him on meds right away. But please send this to the group to
                                        others can offer their ideas. Here's the address.
                                        _feline-heart@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:feline-heart@yahoogroups.com) ,

                                        Carol

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                                          You said he had been diagnosed with saddle thrombosis..... didn't whoever diagnosed him also prescribe some treatment? My own personal opinion is that you need  to get him to the ER right away.

                                        • Wendy Solem
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                                            Not sure who the original post is from, so I'll respond via the entire group.

                                            Saddle thrombosis is painful and life threatening,  ER help should be seeked quickly!!

                                            Please have him/her seen by a Dr soon so there is no suffering and any clot that can be dissolved IS dissolved.

                                            My Tino had this and was in terrific pain (for no more than 1/2 hour it took to get him to hospital)
                                            please don't wait OK?

                                            Hate to sound "preachy" but it was the final end for my Tino and I'd hate for that to happen to you!
                                            Best wishes,
                                            Wendy

                                            ________________________________
                                            You said he had been diagnosed with saddle thrombosis..... didn't whoever diagnosed him also prescribe some treatment? My own personal opinion is that you need  to get him to the ER right away.

                                          • Cindi
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                                              Here is some information.

                                              http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=189&A=3351&S=2&EVetID=3001459

                                              Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
                                              There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
                                              silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
                                              Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
                                              from May Eustace's Cats in Clover
                                            • rosemairew20
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 15, 2013
                                                Did the vet not also put him on Heparin? You should talk to them about it.

                                                When my cat had saddle thrombus everyone said euthanize. But my vet did a old school treatment of DMSO and saline injected in to each hind leg artery. He had blood flow back in a few days and we did a second treatment 3 days later. It took 2 months for him to walk normally. But I bought a brace to help him walk from ortho vet. But if it wasn't for the DMSO treatment my Baxter wouldn't have made it. I have to treat him once every 2 months because he keeps getting clots. I can't give Plavix because it makes him ill and throw up.

                                                I really hope your baby gets better, but have patience and understand that the nerve damage can take 6 weeks to heal.