Constipation and Congestive Heart Failure

  • kobeysd
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2011
      I am new to this group. My 9 year old cat, Kobey, was diagnosed with moderate HCM last November during a routine physical and subsequent cariology ultrasound. He had no symptoms so was not on any medications. On Sunday I noticed him breathing quickly and listened to his breathing and could hear gurgling. I rushed him to the emergency vet and they stabilized him with oxygen, lasix and some other stuff. He had another Cardiology ultrasound Wednesday. It is now severe heart disease and congestive heart failure. He is on lasix, vasotec, baby aspirin and a stool softener. I am to start him on plavix next week. He doesn't have clots yet but there were shadows on the ultrasound. He seems stable for now. My concern is his constipation. The xrays at the emergency vet showed a lot of stool in there. Vet doesn't want to give him an enema due to the heart. I am giving him more canned food with some vegetable oil in it, stool softeners twice a day, warm milk and laxatone. I have to watch his diet as he had crystals and is on prescription food. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do for him? He doesn't seem stressed or uncomfortable and the stool softener says it can take up to 72 hours to work. That would be today. He has had a few really small extremely hard poops. Nothing else. He is eating good now but wasn't Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your help! Deborah
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2011
        Welcome to the group that nobody wants to join. I hope we can help you. I have no experience at all with the things you are asking. But it sounds like you're doing everything right. You can try adding plain canned pumpkin -- that is excellent fiber. Many cats love the taste and will lick it right up off a plate or your finger. All I can say is that I heard Dr Oz say last year that many people are found dead in the bathroom, because their straining to have a bowel movement caused plaque or clots to move around, and cause blockages. So I would say that it is very important to do whatever you can to help poor Kobey with his constipation. I don't know if there's a yahoogroup for feline constipation, but there might be -- there's one for almost everything else. You can search there, and also google feline + constipation.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2011
          Hi Deborah, I am so sorry Kobey has been so ill.

          I just wanted to say Bastet also has severe heart disease and is in end-stage heart failure, and even ow has had a a few enemas and weathered them well. These are very conservative enemas, no more tha 50ccs of fluid. She however, has megacolon, likely the result of chronic constipation caused by dehydration from the furosemide. We aren't using laxatone as it can affect absorption of meds and she is on a raft of them.

          I'm sure Kobey doesn't have megacolon, or your vet would have noticed it on the x-ray, but I had never heard of it, and just wanted to mention it is something to be aware of. The tip off for the megacolon was fat ovoid stools; I mentioned it to my vet and they x-rayed her right away and confirmed megacolon.

          Because of nerve damage to her colon, Bastet has motility issues and gets Cisipride for that. A big help was switching from lactulose (which is more dehydrating) to Miralax. There is a great recipe for pre-mixing Miralax on the Feline Megacolon list. I mix it with just a small amount of baby food squash to encourage the 'good' gut bacteria. Oral hydration is also helpful -- I have been syringe feeding Bastet for years with watered down catfood, which had helped manage the dehydration from the diuretic taxing her kidneys and colon. One mistake I made was giving her too much baby food veg (peas and squash), because this helps constipation by bulking up the stool, but you don't want to bulk it up too much. My vet recommended no more than a quarter tsp. per day of babyfood veg.

          I may be wrong, but I think the stool softener works on the recent food with which the stool softener is given. An enema soften the hard stool that is at the end of the colon, making it easier to pass.

          I am thinking of you and Kobey.
          Pat & Bastet

          Pat
          > I am new to this group. My 9 year old cat, Kobey, was diagnosed
          > with moderate HCM last November during a routine physical and
          > subsequent cariology ultrasound. He had no symptoms so was not
          > on any medications. On Sunday I noticed him breathing quickly
          > and listened to his breathing and could hear gurgling. I rushed
          > him to the emergency vet and they stabilized him with oxygen,
          > lasix and some other stuff. He had another Cardiology ultrasound
          > Wednesday. It is now severe heart disease and congestive heart
          > failure. He is on lasix, vasotec, baby aspirin and a stool
          > softener. I am to start him on plavix next week. He doesn't have
          > clots yet but there were shadows on the ultrasound. He seems
          > stable for now. My concern is his constipation. The xrays at the
          > emergency vet showed a lot of stool in there. Vet doesn't want
          > to give him an enema due to the heart. I am giving him more
          > canned food with some vegetable oil in it, stool softeners twice
          > a day, warm milk and laxatone. I have to watch his diet as he
          > had crystals and is on prescription food. Does anyone have any
          > suggestions as to what else I can do for him? He doesn't seem
          > stressed or uncomfortable and the stool softener says it can
          > take up to 72 hours to work. That would be today. He has had a
          > few really small extremely hard poops. Nothing else. He is
          > eating good now but wasn't Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for
          > your help! Deborah

        • christine french
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2011
            Hi deborah,
            So sorry kobeys health has got worse.:-(
            Feline probiotics and physillium husk and aloe vera all help with bowel motility.
            And a little bit of olive oil.
            My cat karma tolerates them all well.
            Make sure aloe vera pure with no sodium benzoate.
            Just a tiny bit physillium,a pinch mixed wi the others,given at mealtimes.
            Best wishes
            Christina n karma
            On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 23:57 BST kobeysd wrote:

            >I am new to this group. My 9 year old cat, Kobey, was diagnosed with moderate HCM last November during a routine physical and subsequent cariology ultrasound. He had no symptoms so was not on any medications. On Sunday I noticed him breathing quickly and listened to his breathing and could hear gurgling. I rushed him to the emergency vet and they stabilized him with oxygen, lasix and some other stuff. He had another Cardiology ultrasound Wednesday. It is now severe heart disease and congestive heart failure. He is on lasix, vasotec, baby aspirin and a stool softener. I am to start him on plavix next week. He doesn't have clots yet but there were shadows on the ultrasound. He seems stable for now. My concern is his constipation. The xrays at the emergency vet showed a lot of stool in there. Vet doesn't want to give him an enema due to the heart. I am giving him more canned food with some vegetable oil in it, stool softeners twice a day, warm milk and
            laxatone. I have to watch his diet as he had crystals and is on prescription food. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do for him? He doesn't seem stressed or uncomfortable and the stool softener says it can take up to 72 hours to work. That would be today. He has had a few really small extremely hard poops. Nothing else. He is eating good now but wasn't Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your help! Deborah

          • Patricia Crawford
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2011
              I would highly recommend the Feline megacolon list. There are members who have cats that do not have megacolon but suffer from chronic constipation. I have found members' advice and the files very helpful. It is not the group for discussion of IBS or IBD however.

              On the CRF list, one of the members has put together an excellent website on constipation as it plagues so many cats with chronic renal failure.

              Felineconstipation.org: http://felineconstipation.org/index.html

              This is the section on treatment for acute constipation:
              http://felineconstipation.org/acutetreatment.html

              Pat