My boy Aslan

  • Banu Korgul
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
      Hello all,
      İ have rescued an old neutered stray in 2009.
      He has Crf and left dilated cardiomyopathy.
      He is getting enalapril 3mg twice a day, vetmedin 1tablet twice a day, e vit once a day, and a cardiotonic named digoxin 2 drops a day.

      İ have been meaning to write his story but i can not find the time and energy since i âm a volunteer for many strays...

      So i wanted to start with a few questions
      1) cardiologist said: he should not be very active.
      Does this mean he must not even jump to beds?? He walks after me in the house asking for his wet food, is that bad also? What is to be restricted exactly?
      2) he porrrrs!!! :) but for minutes sometimes for 30-40min. İs that bad for a heart kitty? He seems tired, his breathing is not very good nowadays. We dont use diueritics to spare his kidneys but i think we will start and use for a week
      3) my vet says there is No point in monitoring his heart rate etc. What do you do?

      İ âm very worried over him
      İ help many homeless animals and this is my boy, i want him to live more too
      İ feel so helpless

      Please advise..
      Regards

      Sent via Banu's iPod touch

      Sent via Banu's iPod touch

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2011
        Hi

        I am sorry to hear Aslan is poorly. Has he had an ultrasound to confirm his
        diagnosis.

        Cats tend to be as active as their hearts allow. Obviously he should avoid
        stress but my heart cats belt up and down the stairs being daft at times.
        They know exactly when to stop. I would certainly allow him to walk around
        the home and jump on beds. I play with my heart cats in limited amounts.
        It's quality of life and cats love to jump and wander in the home.

        Purring is perfect! Please don't worry, it's normal and healing and
        comforting to cats. If his breathing is labored he definitely might need
        diuretics so it's time to visit the vet to check for fluid on the lungs.

        Monitoring his breathing rate is the most important thing. It should be
        under 30 and this is at rest when he's not dreaming.

        Lyn:)

      • Patricia Crawford
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2011
          Re jumping on beds: because Bastet would get so winded jumping on the bed and chairs, I put those small plastic step stools in front of the sofa, armchairs and chairs devoted to her cat beds. With higher furniture, like the bed, I need a two-step stools, with lower furniture like armchairs, a a small single step stool is fine. I'm also creating more sleeping places on the floors. She particularly likes folded blankets under the chairs. And they're easy to pull out with her on them for pilling time or syringing food and water.
          I'm also using less litter in the boxes so she has less work to do.
          Pat