Sunshine...should i do heart screenings on my cats at a certain age?

  • LeeAnnC
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2011
      Hi,
      I had posted a few weeks ago. My 16 yr old was diagnosed with heart failure when given sub q fluids after a tooth extraction and didn't absorb them.
      Sunshine was hospitalized for 5 days and i never thought she would pull through.
      She just had her one month follow up with the cardiologist and he was thrilled..said no fluid..heart function was almost perfect! He said he could never have had a better response to the medication.
      She is on 1/4 enalapril..lasix and vetmedin.
      If i didn't do that tooth extraction and the chain of events that followed led me to the heart failure...i never would have known.
      I did preop bloods ..chest xray..and even an ekg before the tooth being pulled at sunsine's age of 16 i thought i had it covered.
      Should we be doing heart ultrasounds on our pets starting at a certain age as a "precaution". If we do them early enough like in people do we have a better outcome?
      I have 5 other cats ..3 of which are over 14 and i wonder if i should schedule these appts to be on the cautious side?
      I have lost 10 pnds and i honestly think i'll never be the same again after almost losing her. I flip flop from being glad i pulled a broken tooth to did i cause this to happen to her by leaving her at the vets overnight and scaring her...in addition to the heart issue she is also auto immune anemic on prednisone and now diabetic from the pred on insulin...we are trying to wean off the pred but her blood counts drop every time we try. I'll take any advice on this also if you have any.
      thanks!
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2011
        It would be very expensive to have echos on all your cats as a precaution...perhaps just have your vet listen for a murmur, unless they are of a breed which carries the HCM gene. Also, your cats problem may have come from taking prednisone...it sometimes causes a reaction whcih can advance to CHF in cats with minor heart disease, who later recover fully. Try to relax a little...it's really hard to have a cat with heart disease, but losing 10 lbs and never being the same again are kind of extreme reactions, especially when you have multiple cats who are all approaching older age. I hope that you can maybe talk with someone about this, you will have a very hard time with losing your cats otherwise and this is a natural, extremely difficult part of life. I hope I don't come across as critical...I really empathyze with you...take care, and big hugs...Judi and Angel Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 29, 2011
          Hi,
          I totally agree i will never be able to handle losing my cats..it's a given..i've had sunshine and her brother since they were 2 days old but i do know i have given them the best medical care and life that any person..let alone a pet could have.
          Doing a 450 dollar cardiology consult and catching things early would be a small amount compared to the 5000 dollar vet bill after finding out the hard way.
          The heart disease was diagnosed the day after the anemia and the start of the steroids so it obviously had been there all along.
          My vet did a chest xray and an ekg which was fine..the day before the cardiologist looked at sunshine so much for ekg's and chest xrays.
          And thank you..you are not being critical at all...i'm just not a realist when it comes to the cats.
          Lee Ann

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Judi Levens <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

          > It would be very expensive to have echos on all your cats as a precaution...perhaps just have your vet listen for a murmur, unless they are of a breed which carries the HCM gene. Also, your cats problem may have come from taking prednisone...it sometimes causes a reaction whcih can advance to CHF in cats with minor heart disease, who later recover fully. Try to relax a little...it's really hard to have a cat with heart disease, but losing 10 lbs and never being the same again are kind of extreme reactions, especially when you have multiple cats who are all approaching older age. I hope that you can maybe talk with someone about this, you will have a very hard time with losing your cats otherwise and this is a natural, extremely difficult part of life. I hope I don't come across as critical...I really empathyze with you...take care, and big hugs...Judi and Angel Max
          >

          > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          > From: leeanncohen2512@...
          > Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 01:28:36 +0000
          > Subject: [FH] Sunshine...should i do heart screenings on my cats at a certain age?

          > Hi,
          >
          > I had posted a few weeks ago. My 16 yr old was diagnosed with heart failure when given sub q fluids after a tooth extraction and didn't absorb them.
          >
          > Sunshine was hospitalized for 5 days and i never thought she would pull through.
          >
          > She just had her one month follow up with the cardiologist and he was thrilled..said no fluid..heart function was almost perfect! He said he could never have had a better response to the medication.
          >
          > She is on 1/4 enalapril..lasix and vetmedin.
          >
          > If i didn't do that tooth extraction and the chain of events that followed led me to the heart failure...i never would have known.
          >
          > I did preop bloods ..chest xray..and even an ekg before the tooth being pulled at sunsine's age of 16 i thought i had it covered.
          >
          > Should we be doing heart ultrasounds on our pets starting at a certain age as a "precaution". If we do them early enough like in people do we have a better outcome?
          >
          > I have 5 other cats ..3 of which are over 14 and i wonder if i should schedule these appts to be on the cautious side?
          >
          > I have lost 10 pnds and i honestly think i'll never be the same again after almost losing her. I flip flop from being glad i pulled a broken tooth to did i cause this to happen to her by leaving her at the vets overnight and scaring her...in addition to the heart issue she is also auto immune anemic on prednisone and now diabetic from the pred on insulin...we are trying to wean off the pred but her blood counts drop every time we try. I'll take any advice on this also if you have any.
          >
          > thanks!

        • christine french
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
            Hi lee ann
            I think its very hard to cope with the thought of death wi anyone we love.
            Some folk deal better wi it than others.
            My friend is fatalistic and accepts his dog will go soon,as judy said a difficult part of life.
            I on the other hand find it hard to accept the thought of karma my girl going.
            It unbearable for me,yet I am quite a spiritual person who thinks about things in one hand yet cannot be rational at the reality of karma leavin me.
            Youve had sunshine such a long time.
            Ive had karma 18 yrs.
            Best wee soulmate I could ever have.
            Vet said yesterday she thinks the lump on karmas side probably cancer n she losin weight.
            On top o hcm n kidney disease.
            My choice but vet n I agree she prob wudnt make the anaesthetic.
            Its just me n karma
            I was cryin in the night
            Vvv sad imagining me without her
            We are synonomous!!!
            But somehow lee ann we will have to find the strength to cope
            An be strong for our furry girls
            I wouldnt spend all your money testin unless the other cats same family as sunshine
            Or genetic predisposition.
            As theres so many illnesses old cats get
            Thyroid,kidney,liver,heart etc
            U cannot test for everything
            Though I understand how u feel
            How u wanna protect them all
            I hate havin human limitation when comes to karma
            We all wish we cud make all the bad things go away!
            So sad that we cant!:-(
            But we do our best
            N we get all that love back so much
            Cats are just wonderful realy
            Oh bit its hard when they ill
            It really is!

            Meow
            Christina n karma

            On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 04:17 BST LeeAnnC wrote:

> [...]
            >>
            >> Should we be doing heart ultrasounds on our pets starting at a certain age as a "precaution". If we do them early enough like in people do we have a better outcome?
            >>
            >> I have 5 other cats ..3 of which are over 14 and i wonder if i should schedule these appts to be on the cautious side?
            >>
            >> I have lost 10 pnds and i honestly think i'll never be the same again after almost losing her. I flip flop from being glad i pulled a broken tooth to did i cause this to happen to her by leaving her at the vets overnight and scaring her...in addition to the heart issue she is also auto immune anemic on prednisone and now diabetic from the pred on insulin...we are trying to wean off the pred but her blood counts drop every time we try. I'll take any advice on this also if you have any.

          • Patti Thomas
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
              Not all heart problems, including HCM, present with heart murmurs.   I'm not sure it can be stated that only certain breeds carry the HCM gene.   Even domestic short hair (barn cats) have a fairly high incident of HCM.

              Patti

              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
                What Patti says is very true. Not having a murmur doesn't prove anything and most HCM cats are domestic cats. I'm not saying that a domestic cat is more likely to have HCM than say a maine coon, but since most cats happen to be domestic cats, most HCM cats are also domestic.

                When my cat was diagnosed with RCM (young domestic shorthair, no murmur), I had his sibling tested. No problem as of yet. Which doesn't guarantee there won't be in the future. The recommendation was ultrasound every 6 months.

                Young cats can and do have HCM as well and may die suddenly, so I don't know how relevant age is as a screening criterion. If you are worried about conditions that may contribute to secondary HCM, you may want to keep an eye on thyroid issues and blood pressure.

                If you have money that's not needed for something else, why not screen your cats (it's not invasive). If the money is needed more somewhere else (e.g. dental care, health checks for conditions even more common than HCM etc.), that's very understandable too. As for better outcome, I do not know. From what I understand the progression of HCM and other heart diseases is pretty unpredictable (with or without medication). Maybe someone else has more info on this.

                Pred is definitely not a drug anyone will gladly use on a cat with heart disease, but anemia can be life-threatening, so you'll have to do what you'll have to do.

                I'm glad to hear Sunshine's heart is functioning so well at the moment. I'm like you in that I get absolutely destroyed by the thought of losing one of my cats, but when the time has actually come, I've always got through it somehow. I'm sure you will too.

                Henna & Baby-boy Leo

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
                  If you can afford it and your cats are compliant, why not? Keep in mind, though, that HCM can develop at any point so you're just determining that the cats don't have HCM right now. Another alternative would be to monitor your cats' blood pressure and thyroid levels twice a year with their checkups (this is for older/elderly cats) and get an echo if anything changes or if they need surgery or fluids for some reason. A pre-anesthesia/pre-fluids echocardiogram would be a good idea for any cat.

                  You can also occasionally monitor your cats' breathing rate at home; when they are resting/asleep, you shouldn't get a breath-per-minute rate above 30-35.

                  Adriann
                • LeeAnnC
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
                    If i would have done an echo before the tooth extraction i would have known about the heart disease and not put the cat (and myself) through hell.
                    I thought i was being cautious..did the pre op blood and the chest xray and ekg.
                    I guess maybe it was all a good thing in the end because if the cat didn't go into the auto immune anemia and recovered from the tooth i may not have known about the heart till it was to late...I thank god that they knew right away when she wasn't absorbing the sub q fluids what was going on.
                    As you said..if i could afford it is the key words...i can..i have insurance on my cats and maybe not routinely but DEFINITELY before any surgical procedure i will now do the cardiology consult. I live in pa and this was the first time i have ever had the need to use a cardiology vet but i actually loved him. (the first time he did my cat the cat was hospitalized and i didn't meet him).
                    But it's the end result that counts...Sunshine is doing GREAT.
                    They did want to lower her lasix but she is doing so well on what she's on i really don't want to change it and it's such a low dose...she gets 1/2 of a 12.5 twice a day...they wanted to change it to once a day but i really am afraid she will get sick again so they left it as it was...any thoughts on this??????
                    thanks,
                    Lee Ann

                  • Leo Wempu
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
                      Cardiac ultrasound is the only way to know as you've learned. I had to learn it the hard way too. I wish that vets would be more forthcoming with this information...

                      You have a great insurance! The ones that are available here wouldn't cover an echo for an asymptomatic cat. Unfortunately.

                      I think it's advisable to always use the minimum dose of diuretics that's still effective, because these drugs can be hard on the kidneys. Sunshine's dose is low but maybe you could try 1/2 once a day + 1/4 once a day and see if it makes any difference? You can increase immediately, if it does.

                      Henna & Baby-boy Leo

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
                        Since your cat has had an episode, she'll need checkups with the cardiologist and echos every few months. If she gets sick again with heart failure, then of course, immediately.  But for cats which present normally but are getting up in age, I would take them for echos as well as get annual cbc/chem panels to test liver and renal and other values. We've had all of our cats tested, especially since five came from the same litter, one of which is our HCM cat.  So far, so good.  But when they are ten years old, I'll have them retested. And when they get to be 12 or 14 or 16 or so, retested again at closer intervals. Or tested before major surgeries of any kind if time allows. Of course, a cat that is fine at age 14 and 9 months might suddenly not be so great at 15 and 2 months. Things can change rapidly as you learned with your cat.

                      • ddillenye@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
                          LeeAnn,
                          I can relate to you. My Spangy will soon need teeth cleaning & I won't
                          have it done until I get her heart murmur checked out. We have an appointment
                          on Monday with a cardiologist. She also has an allergy to fleas which I
                          have steroids on hand that I won't give to her for her itching until I know she
                          doesn't have heart disease.

                          Her recent blood tests show anemia which we believe is from the fleas. She
                          also has MegaColon & if she every needs an operation I am worried about her
                          reaction to anesthesia. So sometimes you have to spend the $$$$$ no matter
                          what if you can afford it, if not it eats away our credit card limits.

                          My husband's sons Dog has cataracts in both eyes & it is going to cost him
                          $5,000.
                          Holly SH****

                          Doris Walsh
                          New Port Richey, Fl

                        • LeeAnnC
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
                            I have been doing the cbc every week for the last month because of the anemia..my vet is trying to get her off of the prednisone but every time we try to lower the pred a little bit 5 days later the blood count drops to low and we have to raise it again.
                            The cardiologist told me to recheck again in 6 months..my vet was there and laughed and told him i'll be back in 6 weeks..lol. I do try to keep on top of things.
                            Thank god for my insurance..i never could have done this without it....Including Sunshine's heart..she is also hyper thyroid...her brother is kidney failure..hyper thyroid and hyper para thryoid..along with one of my other hyper thyroid cats. I feel like i'm running a hospital here.
                          • christine french
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 30, 2011
                              Oh lee ann
                              I feel for you wi several old cats wi health problems!you are runnin a small hospital,you are florence pussingale!:-)
                              Its a lot!!!
                              Emotionaly n practically,thank god u have insurance!
                              I dont,its been a killer financially!
                              It makes a huge difference what u can do!
                              Lovely to have a great vet too!
                              Tc
                              Sunshine n the others too
                              Christina n wee old karma

                            • acrocat@rocketmail.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 2, 2011
                                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "LeeAnnC" <leeanncohen2512@...> wrote:
                                > They did want to lower her lasix but she is doing so well on what she's on i really don't want to change it and it's such a low dose...she gets 1/2 of a 12.5 twice a day...they wanted to change it to once a day but i really am afraid she will get sick again so they left it as it was...any thoughts on this??????

                                Is this the general vet or the cardiologist? I would go with the cardiologist's recommendation, as he has more direct knowledge of your cat's heart condition and has much more experience 'tweaking' heart meds than a generalist.

                                Adriann
                              • LeeAnnC
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 2, 2011
                                  It was both..they were both there at the same time but when my vet left the room and i was leaving after they told me to lower the lasix to once a day i asked the cardiologist if she would fill with fluid again and he said he didn't know so i asked him if she was doing well on the 2x a day is it harmful to leave her on it and he said no..it's such a low dose so he said we can just leave it as is which is what we did....i am going to ask my vet next week when Sunshine goes back for bloods as someone else here suggested to rather then cut the dose in half to give Sunshine her regular 1/2 in the am and a 1/4 in the pm rather then the half.
                                  I am just so afraid to change anything because she is doing fantastic...again now trying to get her off the prednisone.