Re: [FH] Yuki - Straining in box - diarrhea - bloody liquid on floor not sure from where

  • MAUREEN FOGG
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2011
      Thanks Christine and Carol! - I will get some slipery elm powder - hopefully she
      will eat it - she is very suspicious of doctored food!  I also found droplets of
      red liquid on the white window sill where she was sitting (between trips to the
      litterbox - she was also crying a lot while she was straining).  The red liquid
      didnt smell like urine but may have been extremely diluted urine because of the
      large amount of water she drinks because of the furosemide.  I am having the vet
      come over and get a blood sample on Sunday - I wonder if she also has a UTI.
      Does the furosemide cause IBD or colitis?  Thanks again - Maureen

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2011
        hi Maureen,

        It's a good idea to get a uninalysis done. If Yuki has a urinary tract/bladder infection, she'll need antibiotics.

        To my knowledge, furosemide doesn't cause IBD or colitis, but it does affect the kidneys. Since it's a diuretic and removes fluids from the body, it also removes the much needed fluids that the kidneys need to function properly. That's why when the cats who have already kidney problems get heart problems, it's more difficult to manage both, because the kidneys need fluids and the heart doesn't do well with that at all. So what you end up doing is minimal fluids for the kidneys to save the heart, but then the kidneys suffer. It's not an easy balance, but one that many have had to try to deal with.

        Carol and the gang