Yuki - Straining in box - diarrhea - bloody liquid on floor not sure from where

  • maureen.fogg
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8 4:51 PM
      Yuki has been straining with red looking diarrhea. She was crying in the box. then i found red thin liquid on the wall where she jumped up on the window. Didnt smell like pee. Any idea what might be going on?
      THanks, (she is sleeping now)
      Maureen
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8 8:25 PM
        hi Maureen,

        Bright red blood in the stool can be IBD or colitis or both. My Puddy and Boo have both and they get bright red blood from time to time, that and the diarrhea. Unfortunately the treatment for both is steroids, which I've not done. I try to handle it with my holistic vet and she does acupuncture and gives them herbs. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

        Sometimes the blood can be just from straining to go. Oftentimes when Puddy has diarrhea he'll strain so hard it causes bleeding, broken blood vessels.

        It's worth to talk to your vet about it. In the meantime, try giving him some slippery elm bark powder, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon in a little bit of canned food a couple times a day. Increase or decrease as needed. When the stools start to be formed again, you can reduce it. Sometimes giving a little bit of psyllium can bulk up the stools too, but not too much. We give Misty a bit less than 1/8 tsp twice a day. Same with the psyllium, when the stools begin to get normal, you can reduce that too.

        I hope Yuki's okay and it's nothing serious.

        hugs
        Carol and the gang

        Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*

        and the gang

        and the gang

      • christine french
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9 2:30 AM
          Oh maureen
          Thinkin of you and yuki,hope she will be ok!
          Very best wishes,
          Christina n karma

          On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 00:51 BST maureen.fogg wrote:

          >Yuki has been straining with red looking diarrhea. She was crying in the box. then i found red thin liquid on the wall where she jumped up on the window. Didnt smell like pee. Any idea what might be going on?
          >THanks, (she is sleeping now)
          >Maureen

        • MAUREEN FOGG
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9 5:15 AM
            Thanks Christine and Carol! - I will get some slipery elm powder - hopefully she
            will eat it - she is very suspicious of doctored food!  I also found droplets of
            red liquid on the white window sill where she was sitting (between trips to the
            litterbox - she was also crying a lot while she was straining).  The red liquid
            didnt smell like urine but may have been extremely diluted urine because of the
            large amount of water she drinks because of the furosemide.  I am having the vet
            come over and get a blood sample on Sunday - I wonder if she also has a UTI.
            Does the furosemide cause IBD or colitis?  Thanks again - Maureen

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9 9:08 AM
              hi Maureen,

              It's a good idea to get a uninalysis done. If Yuki has a urinary tract/bladder infection, she'll need antibiotics.

              To my knowledge, furosemide doesn't cause IBD or colitis, but it does affect the kidneys. Since it's a diuretic and removes fluids from the body, it also removes the much needed fluids that the kidneys need to function properly. That's why when the cats who have already kidney problems get heart problems, it's more difficult to manage both, because the kidneys need fluids and the heart doesn't do well with that at all. So what you end up doing is minimal fluids for the kidneys to save the heart, but then the kidneys suffer. It's not an easy balance, but one that many have had to try to deal with.

              Carol and the gang