Re: [FH] B-12 Injections

  • C.R.
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2011
      Hi Dick,

      We use B12 injections on all of our guys. On some it did help pick up their appetites, but not so much in others.

      The dose we gave our angel Snowball was .25cc (or ml).

      It should be given subQ. We've never noticed that they reacted to it at all, so I don't think it had any sting to it.

      You need to get little insulin syringes, they're 31 gauge, very tiny, thin needles. These are the ones we use and where we get them from. You don't need a prescription to buy from this place, but you do if you get them from your local pharmacy. They were $10 more a box at my pharmacy. http://www.otcwholesale.com/bd-28291.html

      We've never given anything else with the B12 shots, but it wouldn't hurt if you can get them to take some kind of a b-complex supplement. Some of the folks on the CRF and IBD groups I'm on use Jarrow B-Right, but I think any normal potency (not the high potency ones) would be fine. They give maybe just a sprinkle out of the capsules in the food. B-complex tastes bad though, so I usually put it inside another little capsule (I use #3 or #4) and pill them with it.

      The alcohol in the injectable B12 has never been an issue. We've used the Vedco B12 for many years, and never had any problem with it.

      I hope your kitties will respond well to the B12. It's great if it works and then you don't have to go right to the appetite stimulants, which can have side effects.

      Take care,
      Carol and the gang