Mickey problem with stomach acid and lack of appetit and what medication to give

  • Anna Marie
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2011
      I have not posted here in awhile.But I need good ideas now, because Mickey had a bad week,with a fever,no appetite,vomiting,dehydration,and was at the vet's three times,including getting an enema.She is at the beginnning of heart disease,although not on meds yet,has normal respirations,sam problem,will get another ultrasound soon.Appetite is slow to come back.One vet at the hospital said,no stimulants.The other suggested cyproheptadine.What I read about it, it does stimulate the heart higher,and respiration.Her rate now is normally 150 to 170,if excited.She also has a history of lip smacking,and I think she has stomach acid.Should I suggest to the vet that she get rantadine?Pepcid ac is not good for cats with heart problems.She was diagnozed with beginning heart trouble last year, however, I did not put her on atenolol,for several reasons.She has had two ultrasound,and no progression.But she is due for another one very soon.What can I use as an appetite stimulant,and acid reducer,that would be safe for her condition?Her blood work is fine.She is eating very little,this week.The unexplained fever happened three days ago,then went away;She likes to eat in little bits.She is hard to handle,a little feral too.
    • christine french
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2011
        Hi there
        My cat karma has hcm heart disease n kidney disease n inflamatory bowel disease.
        She handles the ranitidine fine,alongside her fortekor n atenolol.
        Often has wind,acid tummy painful digestion.
        So I give her baby infacol which is simeticone oral suspension
        With each meal
        Helps colic n acid
        Also aloe vera,pure without sodium benzoate as thats bad for cats,n tiny bit of physilium husk n feline probiotic all help my wee karma!
        Mixed vegetable tablets help alkalinize her system ,dorwest herbs a uk company sell them.
        Though might be hard for u to administer certain things?
        Maybe a pill crusher would help?
        The homeopathic remedy arsen alb helps when wee karmas tummy really acid n sore.
        I mostly feed her lightly cooked chicken breast wi added taurine n vitamins.
        Taurine is good for the heart.
        They need it in their food.
        Maybe a little bit of apple cider vinegar in mickeys water would also help if shed take it.
        I found the physilium husk increased karmas apetite as did moving to a simple natural diet.
        The chicken breast is very easy to digest indeed n helps her!
        Good luck with mickey
        Tc
        Christina n karma

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2011
          A little slippery elm powder( tree barks powder) in her food would also help with her digestion.
          Best wishes
          Christina n karma

          On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 03:12 BST Anna Marie wrote:

          >I have not posted here in awhile.But I need good ideas now, because Mickey had a bad week,with a fever,no appetite,vomiting,dehydration,and was at the vet's three times,including getting an enema.She is at the beginnning of heart disease,although not on meds yet,has normal respirations,sam problem,will get another ultrasound soon.Appetite is slow to come back.One vet at the hospital said,no stimulants.The other suggested cyproheptadine.What I read about it, it does stimulate the heart higher,and respiration.Her rate now is normally 150 to 170,if excited.She also has a history of lip smacking,and I think she has stomach acid.Should I suggest to the vet that she get rantadine?Pepcid ac is not good for cats with heart problems.She was diagnozed with beginning heart trouble last year, however, I did not put her on atenolol,for several reasons.She has had two ultrasound,and no progression.But she is due for another one very soon.What can I use as an
          appetite stimulant,and acid reducer,that would be safe for her condition?Her blood work is fine.She is eating very little,this week.The unexplained fever happened three days ago,then went away;She likes to eat in little bits.She is hard to handle,a little feral too.

        • Tina Strack
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2011
            Anna:

            The CRF kitty website is a wealth of information as tummy acid is a real
            problem in those kitties. Slippery Elm Bark works well as someone else
            suggested. There are also a lot of other things you can do for this problem.
            Have a look here:

            http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm#eating_tips

            Warming the food and raising the level of the bowl worked wonders for my
            CRF/HCM kitty.

            GOOD LUCK!

            Cheers,
            Tina.

            --
            �Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find
            harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.� -- Einstein