Claude not doing so well

  • mainecoonkatze
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi all,

      I'm a longtime lurker and infrequent poster -- *touch wood* things have been okay more or less catwise the past couple of years. Up to now anyways. This is a long post, so if you wanna jump to the part where I ask questions, then that's at the very end.

      The back story. I lost my non-pedigree but Maine Coon-looking Topsy in early November 2001 from a combination of kidney & heart disease. She was just under 18 years old - would have been 18 on the 27th Nov. Swore I was never going to get another cat.

      But in 2002 a neighbour was given two cats as unwanted pets, a boy and a girl, as it turns out both NOT desexed. The girl cat fled and started living under our house, eating the scraps we put out for the birds. We took her in (didn't know she wasn't desexed) and fed her left over food from when Topsy was still with us, and in less than a month Kitty fattened up and gave birth to four beautiful kittens - Buttons, Patch, Claude & Tuppenny, on Sep 1st 2002.

      We took them all to the vet to be desexed before looking for homes for them, and learned that all the babies had murmurs. So we kept them (desexed), knowing that we couldn't find homes for them and at the shelter, they'd be PTS.

      Buttons lived to be 3 before she threw a saddle thrombosis. Patch was 5 when he threw his. I learned from this group and from their experiences the wonders of Nattokinase, which Claude & Tuppenny take.

      With the Nattokinase, Claude lived long enough to go into CHF two years ago at the age of 7. For 18 months he was stable on 2.5mg Fortekor tablet once daily, 0.5ml Flusapex drops twice daily, and half a Doctor's Best Nattokinase capsule daily.

      2011 has been a bad year. Claude's Fortekor and Nattokinase dosages are unchanged, but we had to up his Flusapex to 0.75ml twice daily around March. But I don't think that's enough any more.

      His resting respirations are 40/minute, and more than the rate, it's the effort he's putting into breathing, though he's not mouth breathing. It fluctuates a bit - when I started writing this post it was 40/min with effort, then the booster dose of 0.25ml Flusapex kicked in and it dropped to 32/min with no effort. Now I'm adding this line at the end of writing and it's back to 40/min with effort but lying on his side, not his front. Normally it'd be a no-brainer ... he needs a vet. But he was only just at the vet 2 months ago, they increased his Flusapex to 2x0.85ml, which terrifies me as to what it'll do to his kidneys, and while the vet says that's not such a huge dose, my gut says otherwise. And this has been SUCH a bad month personally!

      My mum went in for major surgery at the start of the month (cancer) and is home recovering - I'm her carer. While she was in hospital, my dad passed away unexpectedly, his funeral was two weeks ago. Things have turned nasty with the executor. And the house next door is being bulldozed with great big heavy noisy stinky scary yellow machinery. It's a very stressful home environment, which none of us needs right now.

      Claude's still enjoying his meals and his life, but I'm so worried about the massive Flusapex doses. Are there any alternatives to Flusapex? Are drops better/worse/no different to tablets for the effect on the kidneys? Is 2x0.85ml a massive dose? Is it better administered as 4 smaller doses every 6 hours?

      Thanks!

      Catie, Kitty, Claude & Tuppenny
      Topsy-Angel, Buttons-Angel, Patch-Angel
      http://www.catster.com/cats/242310
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
        Hi Catie

        Flusapex is the same as Lasix isnt it? Can you tell me what dose he is on
        in mg? I dont know enough about the liquid lasix to help you, I`m afraid,
        but when Trixi was bad she took 5mg every 4 hours. Lasix seems to last about
        8 hours so might be useful if your vet agrees to spread it out. You can
        also add spironolactone which is a diuretic and spares the kidneys. That helps
        clear fluid as well.

        Another drug is vetmedin. That has been a wonder for me and other kitties
        in this group and I would highly recommend it. It is licensed for heart
        failure in dogs and my cat tolerates it really well and it stabilised her when
        she had next to n chance of surviving.

      • mainecoonkatze
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
          Hi,

          Flusapex is a brand name for Frusemide, and it says 1ml=10mg, so 0.85ml twice daily equals 8.5mg twice daily.

          If it lasts 8 hours then it makes sense that a 12-hourly schedule would be bad, because the last 4 hours he's basically on his own, and if his lungs start to fill up then each next dose has to fix that problem, rather than preventing it.

          Woke up this morning and he was fine - his breathing had dropped to 30/min with MUCH less effort, he was able to sleep comfortably on his side, he was purring and demanding breakfast. Maybe more than a dosage change, he needed a schedule change. Will play it by ear, and will see if we can get those meds you mentioned in Australia ...

          Thanks so much!

          > Hi Catie
          >
          > Flusapex is the same as Lasix isnt it? Can you tell me what dose he is on
          > in mg? I dont know enough about the liquid lasix to help you, I`m afraid,
          > but when Trixi was bad she took 5mg every 4 hours. Lasix seems to last about
          > 8 hours so might be useful if your vet agrees to spread it out. You can
          > also add spironolactone which is a diuretic and spares the kidneys. That helps
          > clear fluid as well.
          >
          > Another drug is vetmedin. That has been a wonder for me and other kitties
          > in this group and I would highly recommend it. It is licensed for heart
          > failure in dogs and my cat tolerates it really well and it stabilised her when
          > she had next to n chance of surviving.
          >
          > Lyn

        • christine french
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2011
            Hi catie
            Sorry I cant help with ur question
            But I just wanted to say I admire how u looked after al those cats all these years!!!
            Not easy havin several wi health probs.
            I hope claude gets better m sorry all these other things hapening in ur life!
            What a time ur having!
            Hang in there!
            Tc
            Christina n karma kat

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2011

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2011
                Hi Christina,

                Thank you for your kind words. I'm actually coping okay with most things except for my mum continuing to smoke, which makes my blood boil, but otherwise it's amazing what you learn to accept and handle as "normal".

                Claude has been doing MUCH better these past few days. Increased his schedule to every 8-9 hours (from every 12 hours) and it means that over the same period of time, he actually takes LESS Flusapex but has a better breathing response -- it's back down to the 30s and with MUCH less effort. He's also not spending time hovering over the water dishes, so the larger, more infrequent doses must have been putting more stress on his kidneys too.

                So a bit of good news, for now at least *touch wood*

                Catie, Claude, Tuppenny & Kitty

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2011
                  Hi catie
                  Really glad claude doing better n kidneys handling new,regime better!:+)
                  Yes understand ur total frustration at your mum smoking!
                  Its hard when u know it not good,but im sure ur doing all u can to help her n claude!
                  Dont forget to save some care for yourself!:+)
                  Christina n karma