Injectible lasix - Yuki in trouble again

  • MAUREEN FOGG
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
      Hello,  I give Yuki the equivalent of 12 mg (1 pill) lasix by injection twice a
      day ( .24 ml shot) .  Lately she has not been doing well.  She went into CHF
      twice last night (drooling and urinating).  And twice this past weekend - same
      thing.  When she goes into CHF initially - I immediately give her a .24 ml
      shot. If she persists in the CHF I will give her another shot (about 1/2 the
      first) .  She used to perk up right away when I gave the shot.  Now she still
      drools and it appears that the shot causes her to urinate in about 2-5 minutes
      where ever she is crouching.  Also if she drinks anything shortly after a shot
      she ends up urinating without being able to get to the cat box.  Has anyone else
      had this trouble?
      Thank you,
      Maureen

    • C.R.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
        Hi Maureen,

        Sorry Yuki is doing poorly. Have you had the kidney values checked recently? This sounds more like a kidney issue than heart. My angel Sweetie used to do that, the drooling and urinating wherever she was, when her kidneys would be getting bad. I know you probably don't want to take Yuki in for bloodwork, but unfortunately it's the only way to know how the kidneys are.

        I hope Yuki feels better very soon. We'll keep you both in our thoughts and prayers.

        hugs,
        Carol and the gang
      • MAUREEN FOGG
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
          Hi Carol,  Thank you - I can have the mobil vet do bloodwork on her.
          Do the kidneys remain bad or is there something you can do to help them when the
          kidneys are not good?
          Thank you very much
          Maureen,
          And a sick Yuki

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
            Oh Maureen,

            It's never good to have to deal with heart and kidney problems together. For kidney problems you have to give subQ fluids to keep the kidneys working properly, but those fluids are bad for heart kitties. So you end up balancing what you need for the kidneys and what you need for the heart. With my angel Sweetie, I used to give her 125mls of subQ fluids daily, but after her CHF started, I could only give her maybe 50mls and that would be divided up into two sessions of 25mls, one in am and one in pm. We did that with her for over 8 months, until her poor little kidneys couldn't take it any longer. We didn't lose her to her CHF, we lost her because of her kidneys...but she lived for 10 months with kidney and heart problems. Some days were better than others, some days she'd go into CHF and I thought I'd lose her, but she'd bounce back. It's just a really hard balancing act, but it's not impossible... just really hard.

            You can do things for the kidney failure like giving some supplements that may help the kidneys function better. Things like Azodyl ( http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/CoreProducts/CardioNephrologyRenal/Azodyl.html ) and Renafood ( http://tinyurl.com/3t8we2r
            ). There are homeopathic remedies that are supposed to help with kidney issues (Natrum Mur 30C). You'd need to talk to a holistic vet who practices homeopathy to figure out what dose is appropriate for Yuki, but we give it to Misty and we give her 30C potency 3 times a day (always in a clean mouth an hour away from any food or drink or meds). The supplements may or may not slow the progression of the renal failure. It's worth a try.

            Sending healing energy to Yuki.

            Carol and the gang

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
              Thanks again Carol.  We will see what the vet says once I get the bloodwork
              done...
              I know its just a matter of time... :<
              Maureen

              ________________________________

            • acrocat@rocketmail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
                Hi Maureen

                I'm sorry to hear that Yuki's not well. Is she having trouble breathing? Urinating and drooling are not signs of CHF -- sounds more like a weak, nauseated cat. I would not give more intensive Lasix therapy without bloodwork; and if she was having trouble breathing, and is still having trouble after the additional Lasix, she needs to get to the ER and have oxygen therapy. Please keep us posted.

                Adriann
              • MAUREEN FOGG
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
                  Hi Adriann,
                  Yes she has been having trouble breathing - between 50-60/min during one of her
                  episodes.  Right now she is resting and calm - breathing is 26 - a little high
                  as she sometimes gets to 20.  Anyway, Im trying desparately to find a good level
                  and administration mode for her diuretic furosemide. Today I came home early to
                  find her starting to drool.  Instead of giving the .24 injection like I did last
                  night when she was drooling profusely and breathing fast, I gave her .12 and
                  watched her.  Last night she peed the floor within 5 minutes.  Today she was
                  able to not wet the floor and even drink some water.  She sat still for a while.
                  Then at 6pm I gave her her 12 mg pill of lasix, her vetmedin and her coq10.  She
                  has been quiet but not drooling or peeing and her respiration has been good.  I
                  keep trying to find the effectiveness time of the furosemide.  I found one
                  reference that says that the injectible take about 5 min to take effect but
                  lasts only a little while - but the pill takes about 1-2 hrs to take effect but
                  lasts 6-8 hours.  Im trying to find a combination of the two to keep her out of
                  CHF.  She is scheduled for bloodwork Saturday when the mobile vet is over.

                  Thanks for your help,
                  Maureen and Yuki

                • christine french
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
                    Hi maureen,so sorry to hear yuki not well.
                    Hows the wee soul doing now?
                    Christina n karma