Re: [FH] Punky's purple gums / Coca tea

  • Ana Gutierrez
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2011
      Well, yes... It does not accelerate the heart rate...

      If it's good for Punky, I'll do anything....

      Bolivians have been taking this tea for hundreds of years... I don't see
      anything wrong with that... The cocaine concentrations are rather small,
      it's a common (and old) analgesic.... This is not an addictive drug, is a
      medical herb.

      Ana

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2011
        Hi Ana

        I can't comment on the tea as I have never used it but I know some
        alkaloids are toxic in cats so you might want to google the list of ingredients
        with 'safe' and 'cats'. Has Punky had his red blood cell level tested to be
        sure he isn't anaemic?

      • Ana Gutierrez-Preciado
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2011
          Thanks Lyn!

          That's exactly my concern... I know cat livers can't metabolize a lot of alkaloids. The thing is, there is not a lot of research done in this topic. I'll keep on reading, googling and searching in pubmed.

          My vet thinks it's worth it to use the tea, and to add an hepatoprotector, such as Milk Thistle. So that's what I did.

          Punky will have the blood tested tomorrow, as well as his electro.

          Best wishes,
          Ana

          Ana Gutierrez Preciado

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2011
            Purple gums are as bad as pale gums in animals as well as people. I'm glad you'll have the blood testing tomorrow! Good luck.

            Marianna

          • Ana Gutierrez-Preciado
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5, 2011
              Punky's gums are back to normal :)
              Today we woke up to pink healthy gums :)

              Is it normal that the purple gums last for a couple of days or the coca tea is really working?

              We will go anyway for the blood test and for the electro today.

              Best wishes,
              Ana & Punky

              Ana Gutierrez Preciado

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5, 2011
                Amazing! If the conditions I was worried about were active, the color of Punky's gums would not suddenly return to normal...not in my experience. Glad you'll have those blood tests done...it will ease your mind and give you some confidence that there's not some underlying condition. Remember with a CBC it is just a snap shot...the blood results today are just that...not necessarily what they will be tomorrow. In any event it will give you some sort of baseline. Please keep us posted.

                Marianna

                From: Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...>
                Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:44:06 -0400 (EDT)
                To: <anagtz@...>; <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5, 2011
                  Thanks Marianna :)
                  I feel happy :)

                  The vet said he will also take an x-ray to see his heart & liver.
                  I will let you know of the blood results.

                  Best wishes,
                  Ana & Punks

                  On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...> wrote:

                  > Amazing! If the conditions I was worried about were active, the color of
                  > Punky's gums would not suddenly return to normal...not in my experience.
                  > Glad you'll have those blood tests done...it will ease your mind and give
                  > you some confidence that there's not some underlying condition. Remember
                  > with a CBC it is just a snap shot...the blood results today are just
                  > that...not necessarily what they will be tomorrow. In any event it will give
                  > you some sort of baseline. Please keep us posted.
                  >
                  > Marianna

                • Ana Gutierrez
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2011
                    Punky's blood test failed because the blood was hemolyzed :(
                    So, they took the blood sample again today.

                    The xray showed he is beginning to accumulate liquid in his lungs :(
                    He isn't in diuretics yet.

                    The electro showed very little strength in his heart for pumping the blood
                    and apparently that is the reason of why Punky woke up with his purple gums
                    on Wednesday. His gums are back to pink now, but his conjunctivae are
                    slightly purple :(

                    I already emailed his cardiologist for her to decide whether we should make
                    an appointment with her.

                    Best wishes,
                    Ana