Re: [FH] Punky's purple gums / Coca tea

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4 10:41 AM
      Cocaine!!!??
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Ana Gutierrez
      To: feline-heart
      Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:36 PM
      Subject: [FH] Punky's purple gums / Coca tea

      Hi all,

      Yesterday Punky woke up with his gums in a purpleish tone... Hoping it was
      only my paranoia, I took him to the vet for a check up.... It wasn't my
      imagination... Punky is not fine, he is definitively not oxygenating his
      blood.
      After the vet check up Punky was really stressed so the vet decided to leave
      him alone for a couple of days and will do an electro tomorrow.

      If things continue this bad I will make an appointment with his
      cardiologist.
      Punky presented liver enlargement, his right part of the heart is
      thickening.... and the vet said that if you put a finger in his gums, the
      color takes a while to come back.

      Since he is not oxygenating his blood appropriately I thought it was a good
      idea to make him a coca tea. Have you guys ever use this in your cats? I
      found no info of coca used in cats.
      Surprisingly, the coca tea helped him and he had today a lower breathing
      rate.

      Coca leaf has the following alkaloids (sorry I cannot translate all the
      names):

      - *Cocaine*. It is the methyl ether of benzoyl egnonina, anesthetic and
      analgesic properties
      - *Egnonina*. It is a carboxylic acid derivative of atropine, has
      properties to metabolize fats, sugars and carbohydrates. *It thins the
      blood*.
      - *Atropine*. Or scopolamine, is the anesthetic that produces dryness in
      the respiratory tree.
      - *Pectin*. It is absorbent and anti-diarrheal, along with Vitamin E,
      regulates the production of melanin to the skin.
      - *Papain*. This protease, which contains the highest proportion papaya,
      is very similar to cathepsin animal is a kind of ferment that speeds
      digestion.
      - *Higrina*. *Excites the salivary glands when there is deficiency of
      oxygen in the atmosphere*.
      - *Globulin*. *It is a cardiotonic regulates the lack of oxygen in the
      environment, improving blood circulation*. Avoid sorojche (altitude
      sickness).
      - *Pyridine*. Accelerates the formation and functioning of the
      brain,*increases blood flow to the pituitary glands
      *, resulting in improved overall body.
      - *Quinoline*. Prevents the formation of dental caries by the phosphorus
      and calcium.
      - *Conine*. It is a powerful anesthetic.
      - *Cocamina*. It is a painkiller with the previous one, helps increase
      the anesthetic and analgesic properties of natural cocaine.
      - *Inulin*. *Refreshes and improves the functioning of the liver*, bile
      secretion and its accumulation in the gallbladder.* **It is diuretic*,
      helps eliminate toxic substances not physiological. It is a
      polysaccharide, much like vitamins B-12, which *increases the number of
      blood cells. *
      - *Benzoin*. Accelerates the formation of muscle cells and prevents the
      putrefaction of food, hence its therapeutic properties for gastritis and
      ulcers.
      - *Reserpine*. *Regulates blood pressure hypotension and
      hypertension*and helps the formation of bone cells.

      Please let me know if you think I am making a huge mistake.

      Do you guys know of other ways to increase the oxygen levels in the blood?
      I was thinking of taking him to an hyperbaric chamber.... Do you know which
      pressure does the chamber need to work on a cat? A small cat, Punky weights
      2.5 kilos.

      Best wishes,
      Ana

    • Ana Gutierrez
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4 10:48 AM
        Well, yes... It does not accelerate the heart rate...

        If it's good for Punky, I'll do anything....

        Bolivians have been taking this tea for hundreds of years... I don't see
        anything wrong with that... The cocaine concentrations are rather small,
        it's a common (and old) analgesic.... This is not an addictive drug, is a
        medical herb.

        Ana

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4 11:23 AM
          Hi Ana

          I can't comment on the tea as I have never used it but I know some
          alkaloids are toxic in cats so you might want to google the list of ingredients
          with 'safe' and 'cats'. Has Punky had his red blood cell level tested to be
          sure he isn't anaemic?

        • Ana Gutierrez-Preciado
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4 11:41 AM
            Thanks Lyn!

            That's exactly my concern... I know cat livers can't metabolize a lot of alkaloids. The thing is, there is not a lot of research done in this topic. I'll keep on reading, googling and searching in pubmed.

            My vet thinks it's worth it to use the tea, and to add an hepatoprotector, such as Milk Thistle. So that's what I did.

            Punky will have the blood tested tomorrow, as well as his electro.

            Best wishes,
            Ana

            Ana Gutierrez Preciado

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4 11:44 AM
              Purple gums are as bad as pale gums in animals as well as people. I'm glad you'll have the blood testing tomorrow! Good luck.

              Marianna

            • Ana Gutierrez-Preciado
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5 6:20 AM
                Punky's gums are back to normal :)
                Today we woke up to pink healthy gums :)

                Is it normal that the purple gums last for a couple of days or the coca tea is really working?

                We will go anyway for the blood test and for the electro today.

                Best wishes,
                Ana & Punky

                Ana Gutierrez Preciado

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5 8:25 AM
                  Amazing! If the conditions I was worried about were active, the color of Punky's gums would not suddenly return to normal...not in my experience. Glad you'll have those blood tests done...it will ease your mind and give you some confidence that there's not some underlying condition. Remember with a CBC it is just a snap shot...the blood results today are just that...not necessarily what they will be tomorrow. In any event it will give you some sort of baseline. Please keep us posted.

                  Marianna

                  From: Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...>
                  Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:44:06 -0400 (EDT)
                  To: <anagtz@...>; <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5 8:35 AM
                    Thanks Marianna :)
                    I feel happy :)

                    The vet said he will also take an x-ray to see his heart & liver.
                    I will let you know of the blood results.

                    Best wishes,
                    Ana & Punks

                    On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...> wrote:

                    > Amazing! If the conditions I was worried about were active, the color of
                    > Punky's gums would not suddenly return to normal...not in my experience.
                    > Glad you'll have those blood tests done...it will ease your mind and give
                    > you some confidence that there's not some underlying condition. Remember
                    > with a CBC it is just a snap shot...the blood results today are just
                    > that...not necessarily what they will be tomorrow. In any event it will give
                    > you some sort of baseline. Please keep us posted.
                    >
                    > Marianna

                  • Ana Gutierrez
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 8 2:13 PM
                      Punky's blood test failed because the blood was hemolyzed :(
                      So, they took the blood sample again today.

                      The xray showed he is beginning to accumulate liquid in his lungs :(
                      He isn't in diuretics yet.

                      The electro showed very little strength in his heart for pumping the blood
                      and apparently that is the reason of why Punky woke up with his purple gums
                      on Wednesday. His gums are back to pink now, but his conjunctivae are
                      slightly purple :(

                      I already emailed his cardiologist for her to decide whether we should make
                      an appointment with her.

                      Best wishes,
                      Ana