Re: Spiky fur

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 9:20 AM
      Further to this: She's eating, purring, gums are pink and not tacky,
      fur doesn't feel greasy or dirty or otherwise neglected, and there's
      nothing out of the ordinary being deposited in the litter box. Should
      I still worry?

      Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
    • Jim Sinclair
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 9:40 AM
        On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM, acrocat@...
        <acrocat@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jim
        >
        > Lack of grooming can be a sign of any number of things, including arthritis.

        I'm not even sure it's a lack of grooming. Xena isn't one of the cats
        who hangs out in my room a lot, so I don't usually see her grooming,
        but her fur feels "clean" and not neglected. And when she does come
        into my room for affection, she purrs and rubs against me just the
        same as always.

        > A lot of people don't consider arthritis as a possibility in cats, but studies have shown that many cats over the age of 6 have started to develop arthritis and the majority of cats over 12 have significant arthritis. Arthritis in the spine and hips will keep a cat from being able to twist around and wash their back and lower back as well.

        Now that is an interesting possibility. I'd been thinking of asking my
        vet about possible arthritis in Willow, who's two years older than
        Xena.

        > I think we also expect that cats with arthritis will look like dogs with arthritis i.e. be slow to get up, will limp, etc. Cats often get arthritis in the spine, elbows, and hips, and it is often bilateral, meaning that it's equal in both elbows or hips, so there is no point in limping. Cats with back pain or elbow pain may find it more difficult to 'land' than to jump so that can trick us into not noticing as well.

        So what are the things to watch for in cats?

        > Back to you, Jim, if your little one hasn't had her senior checkup in the past 6 months, I'd do one that includes blood (inc T4) just to make sure nothing's changed, and ask for an orthopedic exam too. Doesn't need radiographs necessarily, just a good physical.

        Will definitely talk to my vet. The thing is, I've been trying to
        space out vet appointments so I don't have more than one animal going
        for exams or tests per month. But thanks to Clipsy's hospitalization
        last month bumping Buttercup's follow-up blood test to this month,
        I've already got two cats--Willow and Buttercup--needing blood work
        this month. Plus I think some vaccinations are due this month. If Xena
        is one of the ones due for her shots, then she'll get a checkup too.
        But if she's not due for anything this month, I need to know how to
        judge whether or not something is urgent enough to go further into
        credit card debt by taking her in ahead of schedule.

        Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...