Re: Spiky fur

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
      Hi Jim

      Lack of grooming can be a sign of any number of things, including arthritis. A lot of people don't consider arthritis as a possibility in cats, but studies have shown that many cats over the age of 6 have started to develop arthritis and the majority of cats over 12 have significant arthritis. Arthritis in the spine and hips will keep a cat from being able to twist around and wash their back and lower back as well.

      Soapbox on arthritis: I think people think that there are changes associated with 'growing old' and don't consider that these changes are due to pain. A few years ago I was mortified to see my cat, after he came home from his dental on pain meds, bounce around and jump like he hadn't done in quite a while. I hadn't noticed the slow change.

      I think we also expect that cats with arthritis will look like dogs with arthritis i.e. be slow to get up, will limp, etc. Cats often get arthritis in the spine, elbows, and hips, and it is often bilateral, meaning that it's equal in both elbows or hips, so there is no point in limping. Cats with back pain or elbow pain may find it more difficult to 'land' than to jump so that can trick us into not noticing as well.

      Back to you, Jim, if your little one hasn't had her senior checkup in the past 6 months, I'd do one that includes blood (inc T4) just to make sure nothing's changed, and ask for an orthopedic exam too. Doesn't need radiographs necessarily, just a good physical.

      Hope this helps.
      Adriann
    • Ana Gutierrez-Preciado
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
        Hi all,

        Calicivirus can also cause spike fur, since it hurts the mouth and causes lack of grooming too.
        I once had a kitty which had a lot of liver problems; he also had spike fur.

        Jim,
        I hope it's nothing serious, but I'll take her for a vet check.

        Best wishes,
        Ana

        Ana Gutierrez Preciado

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
          Further to this: She's eating, purring, gums are pink and not tacky,
          fur doesn't feel greasy or dirty or otherwise neglected, and there's
          nothing out of the ordinary being deposited in the litter box. Should
          I still worry?

          Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
        • Jim Sinclair
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
            On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM, acrocat@...
            <acrocat@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jim
            >
            > Lack of grooming can be a sign of any number of things, including arthritis.

            I'm not even sure it's a lack of grooming. Xena isn't one of the cats
            who hangs out in my room a lot, so I don't usually see her grooming,
            but her fur feels "clean" and not neglected. And when she does come
            into my room for affection, she purrs and rubs against me just the
            same as always.

            > A lot of people don't consider arthritis as a possibility in cats, but studies have shown that many cats over the age of 6 have started to develop arthritis and the majority of cats over 12 have significant arthritis. Arthritis in the spine and hips will keep a cat from being able to twist around and wash their back and lower back as well.

            Now that is an interesting possibility. I'd been thinking of asking my
            vet about possible arthritis in Willow, who's two years older than
            Xena.

            > I think we also expect that cats with arthritis will look like dogs with arthritis i.e. be slow to get up, will limp, etc. Cats often get arthritis in the spine, elbows, and hips, and it is often bilateral, meaning that it's equal in both elbows or hips, so there is no point in limping. Cats with back pain or elbow pain may find it more difficult to 'land' than to jump so that can trick us into not noticing as well.

            So what are the things to watch for in cats?

            > Back to you, Jim, if your little one hasn't had her senior checkup in the past 6 months, I'd do one that includes blood (inc T4) just to make sure nothing's changed, and ask for an orthopedic exam too. Doesn't need radiographs necessarily, just a good physical.

            Will definitely talk to my vet. The thing is, I've been trying to
            space out vet appointments so I don't have more than one animal going
            for exams or tests per month. But thanks to Clipsy's hospitalization
            last month bumping Buttercup's follow-up blood test to this month,
            I've already got two cats--Willow and Buttercup--needing blood work
            this month. Plus I think some vaccinations are due this month. If Xena
            is one of the ones due for her shots, then she'll get a checkup too.
            But if she's not due for anything this month, I need to know how to
            judge whether or not something is urgent enough to go further into
            credit card debt by taking her in ahead of schedule.

            Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...