Spiky fur

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
      This is probably a strange question, but I have been dealing with so
      much sick cat stuff, and two cat deaths within three months, and I'm
      probably a bit on-edge about my surviving cats' health, so here goes:
      Do cats get bad hair days from heat and humidity, or is spiky
      sticking-up fur a sign of possible health problems? The cat is Xena,
      an 8-year-old spayed female DSH with no known health problems to date.

      Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
        hi Jim,

        I know the feeling...so much going on and so many sick kitties... me too.

        Sometimes cats who are hyperthyroid can have that spikey fur. Misty who is hyperthyroid along with her other problems has that. I'm not sure why it gets that way, but my angel Sweetie who was also hyperthyroid had it too.

        That doesn't necessarily mean that it's always from that though. If they're dehydrated at all, that can cause their fur to look disheveled and unkempt. With the weather where you are being as hot and extreme as it's been, it could be that she's a bit dehydrated.

        Sometimes it can be something as simple as if they're not grooming as much their fur will get that spikey look, or if they could just need a little more moisture or oil in the food...the omega fatty acids, so giving something like a little fish oil may help.

        I hope it's nothing. You don't need anymore to worry about.

        hugs,
        Carol, Misty and Angel Snowball

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
          When Skip was hyperthyroid, his fur was very coarse. It wasn't until after we had the I-Cat done that we noticed how soft his fur had become. The hyperthyroid caused a lots of changes in him that went back to normal once treated.

          Also, I know that if Skip is depressed (when he didn't like his canned food) and not speaking to me that he doesn't groom as much. His fur feels different. Of course he was not getting the nutrients from the food that he needed at that time as well; since he wasn't eating his food.

          Michelle and Skip

        • acrocat@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
            Hi Jim

            Lack of grooming can be a sign of any number of things, including arthritis. A lot of people don't consider arthritis as a possibility in cats, but studies have shown that many cats over the age of 6 have started to develop arthritis and the majority of cats over 12 have significant arthritis. Arthritis in the spine and hips will keep a cat from being able to twist around and wash their back and lower back as well.

            Soapbox on arthritis: I think people think that there are changes associated with 'growing old' and don't consider that these changes are due to pain. A few years ago I was mortified to see my cat, after he came home from his dental on pain meds, bounce around and jump like he hadn't done in quite a while. I hadn't noticed the slow change.

            I think we also expect that cats with arthritis will look like dogs with arthritis i.e. be slow to get up, will limp, etc. Cats often get arthritis in the spine, elbows, and hips, and it is often bilateral, meaning that it's equal in both elbows or hips, so there is no point in limping. Cats with back pain or elbow pain may find it more difficult to 'land' than to jump so that can trick us into not noticing as well.

            Back to you, Jim, if your little one hasn't had her senior checkup in the past 6 months, I'd do one that includes blood (inc T4) just to make sure nothing's changed, and ask for an orthopedic exam too. Doesn't need radiographs necessarily, just a good physical.

            Hope this helps.
            Adriann
          • Ana Gutierrez-Preciado
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
              Hi all,

              Calicivirus can also cause spike fur, since it hurts the mouth and causes lack of grooming too.
              I once had a kitty which had a lot of liver problems; he also had spike fur.

              Jim,
              I hope it's nothing serious, but I'll take her for a vet check.

              Best wishes,
              Ana

              Ana Gutierrez Preciado

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
                Further to this: She's eating, purring, gums are pink and not tacky,
                fur doesn't feel greasy or dirty or otherwise neglected, and there's
                nothing out of the ordinary being deposited in the litter box. Should
                I still worry?

                Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
              • Jim Sinclair
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
                  On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM, acrocat@...
                  <acrocat@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Jim
                  >
                  > Lack of grooming can be a sign of any number of things, including arthritis.

                  I'm not even sure it's a lack of grooming. Xena isn't one of the cats
                  who hangs out in my room a lot, so I don't usually see her grooming,
                  but her fur feels "clean" and not neglected. And when she does come
                  into my room for affection, she purrs and rubs against me just the
                  same as always.

                  > A lot of people don't consider arthritis as a possibility in cats, but studies have shown that many cats over the age of 6 have started to develop arthritis and the majority of cats over 12 have significant arthritis. Arthritis in the spine and hips will keep a cat from being able to twist around and wash their back and lower back as well.

                  Now that is an interesting possibility. I'd been thinking of asking my
                  vet about possible arthritis in Willow, who's two years older than
                  Xena.

                  > I think we also expect that cats with arthritis will look like dogs with arthritis i.e. be slow to get up, will limp, etc. Cats often get arthritis in the spine, elbows, and hips, and it is often bilateral, meaning that it's equal in both elbows or hips, so there is no point in limping. Cats with back pain or elbow pain may find it more difficult to 'land' than to jump so that can trick us into not noticing as well.

                  So what are the things to watch for in cats?

                  > Back to you, Jim, if your little one hasn't had her senior checkup in the past 6 months, I'd do one that includes blood (inc T4) just to make sure nothing's changed, and ask for an orthopedic exam too. Doesn't need radiographs necessarily, just a good physical.

                  Will definitely talk to my vet. The thing is, I've been trying to
                  space out vet appointments so I don't have more than one animal going
                  for exams or tests per month. But thanks to Clipsy's hospitalization
                  last month bumping Buttercup's follow-up blood test to this month,
                  I've already got two cats--Willow and Buttercup--needing blood work
                  this month. Plus I think some vaccinations are due this month. If Xena
                  is one of the ones due for her shots, then she'll get a checkup too.
                  But if she's not due for anything this month, I need to know how to
                  judge whether or not something is urgent enough to go further into
                  credit card debt by taking her in ahead of schedule.

                  Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...