Re: Need some brainstorming here...

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 26, 2011
      Hi Ryan

      Check out the color of his nail beds (extend the nail, the nail bed should be pink). It's possible that he had a wee clot go to one of his toes. These can be quite painful. In good light, carefully examine the nail beds and look for any subtle difference in the toe pads.

      It's also possible that he has neuropathy from nerve damage to the leg. This means he could have a pins & needles feeling, or just a weird feeling when he touches that foot. Is he still washing it, sitting on his butt and extending the leg, pulling on the toes, etc. like cats normally do?

    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 26, 2011
        When Max threw his clot the first sign was the "flicking" of his leg...I noticed something was wrong and then he jumped down to the floor and his foot was "folded"...we were lucky since that's as far as it went, but I would take it seriously...may be a small clot...good luck...Judi and Angel Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        From: tobythelegend@...
        Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 04:52:16 +0000
        Subject: [FH] Need some brainstorming here...

        Eli has been mostly hopping around on three legs the last couple of days, and frequently shaking his back right leg, as if it is wet or, as we do, when a limb has fallen asleep. He threw his first clot three months ago, and his last clot was two weeks ago. Since then he made a full recovery to his condition after the first clot (limping on his back right leg, able to put weight on his right foot.)

        His paws are warm, he walks on his fourth leg sometimes, but much less than previously. He is eating, drinking, chasing one of our other cats around. He appears to be in good spirits. Why the shaking of that fourth paw? Why the hopping instead of walking now? Any ideas? We're at a loss.

        Ryan & Eli

      • tobythelegend
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 26, 2011
          Thanks for the feedback Adriann and Judi!

          I examined Eli's nail beds this morning. All had the same pinkness and looked good. He didn't seem to mind either, no cries of protest or pain, and no struggling. I observed him this morning and he is walking better on that leg than he has since he threw his first clot, putting almost his full weight on the paw. Yet, after three steps in a row (using the paw) he flicked that paw each time. Really strange.

          He is still washing the foot and leg, extending it when he is sleeping, and he even tries to scratch his face with it (his accuracy/control has decreased since his clots, so he mostly just thumps himself in the face with it).

          We are keeping a close eye on him. We are encouraged because he is walking so well on the leg when he chooses to use it, but baffled and slightly worried by the flicking and the hopping on three legs that he does from time to time.

          Thank you for your time,

          Ryan & Eli

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "acrocat@..." <acrocat@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ryan
          >
          > Check out the color of his nail beds (extend the nail, the nail bed should be pink). It's possible that he had a wee clot go to one of his toes. These can be quite painful. In good light, carefully examine the nail beds and look for any subtle difference in the toe pads.
          >
          > It's also possible that he has neuropathy from nerve damage to the leg. This means he could have a pins & needles feeling, or just a weird feeling when he touches that foot. Is he still washing it, sitting on his butt and extending the leg, pulling on the toes, etc. like cats normally do?

        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 26, 2011
            Is there any chance he might have undiagnosed diabetes? Has he been tested recently? Diabetes that isn't properly controlled can cause neuropathy in the back legs. Does he drink a lot and/or urinate a lot? There are other signs too -- ask your vet if this is a possibility for him. I think the shaking of the paw after he steps on it is like us shaking our arm after it "falls asleep" -- we shake it to try to get rid of the tingling.
            Thanks for the feedback Adriann and Judi!

            I examined Eli's nail beds this morning. All had the same pinkness and looked good. He didn't seem to mind either, no cries of protest or pain, and no struggling. I observed him this morning and he is walking better on that leg than he has since he threw his first clot, putting almost his full weight on the paw. Yet, after three steps in a row (using the paw) he flicked that paw each time. Really strange.

            He is still washing the foot and leg, extending it when he is sleeping, and he even tries to scratch his face with it (his accuracy/control has decreased since his clots, so he mostly just thumps himself in the face with it).

            We are keeping a close eye on him. We are encouraged because he is walking so well on the leg when he chooses to use it, but baffled and slightly worried by the flicking and the hopping on three legs that he does from time to time.

            Thank you for your time,

            Ryan & Eli

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "acrocat@..." <acrocat@...> wrote:

            > Hi Ryan
            >
            > Check out the color of his nail beds (extend the nail, the nail bed should be pink). It's possible that he had a wee clot go to one of his toes. These can be quite painful. In good light, carefully examine the nail beds and look for any subtle difference in the toe pads.
            >
            > It's also possible that he has neuropathy from nerve damage to the leg. This means he could have a pins & needles feeling, or just a weird feeling when he touches that foot. Is he still washing it, sitting on his butt and extending the leg, pulling on the toes, etc. like cats normally do?

          • MAUREEN FOGG
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 26, 2011
              I wish i knew the answer too as Yuki is always shaking her front paws, has for
              months since her first CHF episode.  Now I noticed her shaking a back paw. I
              think Im going to try to give more natto (but she hates the big pills).

              Maureen and Yuki

            • MAUREEN FOGG
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 27, 2011
                I got this info at:
                http://www.natto-nattokinase.com/herbal-remedies/natto-nattokinase/nattokinase-benefits

                It has to do with nattokinase and clot formation...

                Thrombolytic Effect: Nattokinase dissolves existing thrombus (clotting) by
                dissolving the fibrin that binds platelets together. Nattō acts much like
                plasmin, the only enzyme produced by the human body that breaks down fibrin. As
                we age, our plasmin production decreases, making Nattō supplementation the ideal
                replacement. Nattokinase also enhances the body’s own production of plasmin and
                other blood clotting agents, including urokinase (endogenous)( Sumi, H. et al.
                “A novel fibrinolytic enzyme (Nattokinase) in the vegetable cheese Nattō….”
                Experientia 1987, 43:1110-11).

                Blood Pressure: Nattokinase has been shown to lower blood pressure levels.
                People in Japan have been eating Nattō for this purpose for hundreds of years.
                Studies have shown it lowers blood pressure by inhibiting angiotensin converting
                enzyme (ACE). Ace causes blood vessels to narrow and blood pressure to rise.
                Nattokinase’s ability to inhibit ACE, therefore, has a lowering effect on blood
                pressure (Maruyama M, Sumi H. Effect of Nattō Diet on Blood Pressure. JTTAS,
                1995.).
                Circulation Enhancement: Nattokinase has been shown to aid in blood flow by
                assisting in the clearing of circulation. It has also been shown to help prevent
                the hardening and narrowing of arteries (Sumi H. Healthy Microbe "Bacillus
                Nattō". Japan Bio Science Laboratory Co. Ltd.).
                Other Benefits: Nattokinase has been shown to augment bone density, aid joint
                pain, assist in the management of migraine headaches and alleviate exercise
                induced joint and muscle pain. In ancient times the food Nattō was also used for
                its antibacterial effect to prevent cholera, typhoid and dysentery (Sumi H.
                Healthy Microbe "Bacillus Nattō". Japan Bio Science Laboratory Co. Ltd.).
                Thrombotic clogging of the cerebral blood vessels has been identified as a major
                factor leading to senile dementia. Other thrombotic diseases include cerebral
                hemorrhage, cerebral infarction, cardiac infarction, angina pectoris and
                hemorrhoids. The amazing thrombolytic effect of Nattokinase holds much promise
                for those suffering from these conditions.

                ________________________________
                > I wish i knew the answer too as Yuki is always shaking her front paws, has for
                > months since her first CHF episode.  Now I noticed her shaking a back paw. I
                > think Im going to try to give more natto (but she hates the big pills).
                >
                > Maureen and Yuki

              • Judi Levens
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 27, 2011
                  How interesting...I was sure it was working for Max.
                  Now I'd like to take it...did it give any guidelines for the amt in humans? thanks...Judi and Angel Max and lovebug Tucker

                  To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                  From: maureen.fogg@...
                  Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:47:18 -0700
                  Subject: Re: [FH] Re: Need some brainstorming here...

                  I got this info at:
                  http://www.natto-nattokinase.com/herbal-remedies/natto-nattokinase/nattokinase-benefits

                  It has to do with nattokinase and clot formation...

                  Thrombolytic Effect: Nattokinase dissolves existing thrombus (clotting) by
                  dissolving the fibrin that binds platelets together. Natt� acts much like
                  plasmin, the only enzyme produced by the human body that breaks down fibrin. As
                  we age, our plasmin production decreases, making Natt� supplementation the ideal
                  replacement. Nattokinase also enhances the body's own production of plasmin and
                  other blood clotting agents, including urokinase (endogenous)( Sumi, H. et al.
                  "A novel fibrinolytic enzyme (Nattokinase) in the vegetable cheese Natt�.."
                  Experientia 1987, 43:1110-11).

                  Blood Pressure: Nattokinase has been shown to lower blood pressure levels.
                  People in Japan have been eating Natt� for this purpose for hundreds of years.
                  Studies have shown it lowers blood pressure by inhibiting angiotensin converting
                  enzyme (ACE). Ace causes blood vessels to narrow and blood pressure to rise.
                  Nattokinase's ability to inhibit ACE, therefore, has a lowering effect on blood
                  pressure (Maruyama M, Sumi H. Effect of Natt� Diet on Blood Pressure. JTTAS,
                  1995.).
                  Circulation Enhancement: Nattokinase has been shown to aid in blood flow by
                  assisting in the clearing of circulation. It has also been shown to help prevent
                  the hardening and narrowing of arteries (Sumi H. Healthy Microbe "Bacillus
                  Natt�". Japan Bio Science Laboratory Co. Ltd.).
                  Other Benefits: Nattokinase has been shown to augment bone density, aid joint
                  pain, assist in the management of migraine headaches and alleviate exercise
                  induced joint and muscle pain. In ancient times the food Natt� was also used for
                  its antibacterial effect to prevent cholera, typhoid and dysentery (Sumi H.
                  Healthy Microbe "Bacillus Natt�". Japan Bio Science Laboratory Co. Ltd.).
                  Thrombotic clogging of the cerebral blood vessels has been identified as a major
                  factor leading to senile dementia. Other thrombotic diseases include cerebral
                  hemorrhage, cerebral infarction, cardiac infarction, angina pectoris and
                  hemorrhoids. The amazing thrombolytic effect of Nattokinase holds much promise
                  for those suffering from these conditions.

                  ________________________________
                  > I wish i knew the answer too as Yuki is always shaking her front paws, has for
                  > months since her first CHF episode. Now I noticed her shaking a back paw. I
                  > think Im going to try to give more natto (but she hates the big pills).
                  >
                  > Maureen and Yuki

                • Westgold
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 27, 2011
                    I posted about this before --- last year sometime Dr Oz had health secrets
                    from Japan on his show. He told us how most Japanese people EAT natto
                    everyday, and he believes that is one of the reasons why they are so
                    healthy. I'm sure that if you searched his site, you could find this
                    info -- http://www.doctoroz.com --

                    apparently it's an acquired taste! But the pills might be a great thing for
                    us to add --
                    what do you guys think??

                    To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                    From: maureen.fogg@...
                    Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:47:18 -0700

                    I got this info at:
                    http://www.natto-nattokinase.com/herbal-remedies/natto-nattokinase/nattokinase-benefits

                    It has to do with nattokinase and clot formation...

                    Thrombolytic Effect: Nattokinase dissolves existing thrombus (clotting) by
                    dissolving the fibrin that binds platelets together. Nattò acts much like
                    plasmin, the only enzyme produced by the human body that breaks down fibrin.
                    As
                    we age, our plasmin production decreases, making Nattò supplementation the
                    ideal
                    replacement. Nattokinase also enhances the body's own production of plasmin
                    and
                    other blood clotting agents, including urokinase (endogenous)( Sumi, H. et
                    al.
                    "A novel fibrinolytic enzyme (Nattokinase) in the vegetable cheese Nattò.."
                    Experientia 1987, 43:1110-11).

                    Blood Pressure: Nattokinase has been shown to lower blood pressure levels.
                    People in Japan have been eating Nattò for this purpose for hundreds of
                    years.
                    Studies have shown it lowers blood pressure by inhibiting angiotensin
                    converting
                    enzyme (ACE). Ace causes blood vessels to narrow and blood pressure to rise.
                    Nattokinase's ability to inhibit ACE, therefore, has a lowering effect on
                    blood
                    pressure (Maruyama M, Sumi H. Effect of Nattò Diet on Blood Pressure. JTTAS,
                    1995.).
                    Circulation Enhancement: Nattokinase has been shown to aid in blood flow by
                    assisting in the clearing of circulation. It has also been shown to help
                    prevent
                    the hardening and narrowing of arteries (Sumi H. Healthy Microbe "Bacillus
                    Nattò". Japan Bio Science Laboratory Co. Ltd.).
                    Other Benefits: Nattokinase has been shown to augment bone density, aid
                    joint
                    pain, assist in the management of migraine headaches and alleviate exercise
                    induced joint and muscle pain. In ancient times the food Nattò was also used
                    for
                    its antibacterial effect to prevent cholera, typhoid and dysentery (Sumi H.
                    Healthy Microbe "Bacillus Nattò". Japan Bio Science Laboratory Co. Ltd.).
                    Thrombotic clogging of the cerebral blood vessels has been identified as a
                    major
                    factor leading to senile dementia. Other thrombotic diseases include
                    cerebral
                    hemorrhage, cerebral infarction, cardiac infarction, angina pectoris and
                    hemorrhoids. The amazing thrombolytic effect of Nattokinase holds much
                    promise
                    for those suffering from these conditions.

                    ________________________________
                    > I wish i knew the answer too as Yuki is always shaking her front paws, has
                    > for
                    > months since her first CHF episode. Now I noticed her shaking a back paw.
                    > think Im going to try to give more natto (but she hates the big pills).
                    >
                    > Maureen and Yuki

                  • MAUREEN FOGG
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 27, 2011
                      It does sound great - just grain of salt -  this website is selling it! ;>

                      Nattokinase Dosage InformationNattō has been consumed as a breakfast delicacy by
                      the Japanese for over 1000 years. To the Western palate, however, pure Nattō is
                      not very appealing. Therefore Nattokinase supplementation by way of oral softgel
                      capsules is the preferred method of ingestion. Dr. Sumi’s original research
                      reported that Nattō has an average of 40 fibrinolytic units per gram
                      (fibrinolytic units are a determination of how much fibrin a specific amount of
                      the enzyme breaks up in a test tube) . Human clinical trials have used dosages
                      of between 50 and 200 grams of Nattō per day. This would equate to between 2,000
                      and 8,000 fibrinolytic units (Sumi H. Interview With Doctor of Medicine Hiroyuki
                      Sumi. Japan Bio Science Laboratory Co. Ltd.).

                      Pure, isolated Nattokinase supplements contain 20,000 fibrinolytic units per
                      gram. One 36 mg softgel taken twice per day would supply an adequate amount as a
                      preventative. Patients who are actively combating thrombus should be guided by
                      their medical professional’s dosage recommendation.

                      ________________________________

                      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
                        Hi Ryan

                        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tobythelegend" <tobythelegend@...> wrote:
                        > He is still washing the foot and leg, extending it when he is sleeping, and he even tries to scratch his face with it

                        This is good news because if an animal loses sensation in a limb or digit, they sometimes 'target' it inappropriately (gruesomely). Seems like he knows that it's still his foot!

                        If this keeps up, you can ask your vet about a drug called gabapentin. I know he's on a lot of drugs already, so you may not want to take on another, but if the foot really bothers him then gabapentin may help. It is a drug that is specifically used for neurogenic pain and discomfort. You would have to have it compounded because it only comes in capsules and the capsules are too high of a dose for a cat. It's worth looking into if the leg continues to trouble him.

                        Best of luck and keep us posted
                        Adriann
                      • tobythelegend
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
                          Adriann,

                          Thank you for the input! I was around for most of the day yesterday and kept an eye on him. He really doesn't seem to be bothered by it except for that occasional flicking. I saw him cleaning that foot and chewing his nails about three times yesterday. He looked happy and content. He was racing around, and when he wants to go really fast he just tucks up that leg. When he slows down he uses it, and he actually has improved so much. I'm very happy with how he's doing overall... I know that the prognosis for a cat that throws clots is very poor, so I feel that every day with my little guy is a blessing. I will keep an eye on how he is using that leg.

                          Ryan & Eli