Does anyone else get nervous at checkup time?

  • mec2973
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22, 2011
      I just made Skip's bi-annual appointments. One with his regular vet for his annual checkup and to get blood and urine samples for his cardiology appointment and then one for his cardiologist who wants to see him twice a year.

      I always get real nervous around this time. I worry that the cardiologist is going to tell me that the HCM has progressed significantly...we are at 2 years since his diagnosis (Skip is 12). Please note that this has never happened and the most she says is that his heart wall has barely changed. I keep telling myself that everything will be ok and some cats live for years with HCM.

      But I know at some point it probably will change, and I worry all the way up until the appointment. My poor boyfriend puts up with a month of me worrying and watching Skip like a hawk, so that if I have any questions I can ask the cardiologist.

      Actually this time around, Skip to me looks a lot better. He has gained some weight back since he now likes his canned food. He's no longer mad at mommy about the food situation and looks forward again to the canned food. He still eats his hard food as well. Since Skip is no longer mad at mommy, he lays on the back of the couch behind me with his tail wrapped around my neck. Very sweet.

      I was just wondering if anyone else gets the jitters before the checkups? And what do you do to keep from worrying?
    • furbabymama
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 22, 2011
        Oh, yes, I most certainly do. I fret for days before and the entire time Ash is with the Cardio vet having his echo that when I pick him up they'll tell me he doesn't have much longer. One time I sat in the room waiting for the doc, holding him and crying.

        We're in the same boat, too. It's been two years since Ash's diagnosis and the last time they said he was "relatively stable" with very little change. But there's no idea when that's going to change.

        The only thing I've found that helps a little bit is telling myself that I've been taking the best care of him that I can and been making sure he knows he's loved and have already given Ash a longer, happier life than he would've had in his previous home.

        ::HUGS::
        Shonna & Ash
        & the rest of the gang
      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 23, 2011
          Hi

          Yes, it's normal to get worried at scan time. All you can do is think that
          if the condition has progressed you will find out early and then medication
          and help can be given so doing the scans is the right thing. Try and not
          get too stressed as your kitty will feel it. With my various heart cases
          I`ve been going for scans for 5 years or so now and it does get easier with
          familiarity but the worry never quite goes away.

        • joanne marbut
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 23, 2011
            I used to but much less when after a period of time, Myrna's appointments proved the heart to be unchanged. She goes every 3 months so I've had more time to hear it from the vet that all is well.  I worry more during the three months between appointments when I think I've seen a change in her physically. Then I worry if I should take her in sooner.  Your feelings are normal.  But try not to think about the cat becoming sicker.  You can't live your life walking on egg shells waiting for the shoe to drop.

          • Patricia Crawford
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 23, 2011
              I relate to the jitters. Bastet has a congenital stage 6 murmur and very advanced heart disease. I adopted her at 9 months and told by the shelter not to get too attached as she already had heart damage from the murmur and her heart was already enlarged.

              She turned 18 this spring and has a host of other issues including kidney failure, megacolon, chronic pancreatitis and asthma, so it's a very delicate balancing act to keep everything under control. Right now she is in her third episode of mild CHF and she is going back for an ultrasound and x-ray on Tuesday. The furosemide has been raised very cautiously.

              I *try* not to worry too much (by telling myself that it serves no useful purpose and only stresses my own body -- easier said than done, I know!) and remind myself that she is a medical miracle and that I and my vet are doing everything possible. When I do feel anxiety during one of her episodes when she is not feeling well, I have to pull out a good book to calm my nerves.

              I do dread the day we can do no more for her, and am conscious that every day she is with me is a gift -- sounds corny, but it is true.

              This week a human friend of mine work died -- at 58 -- he was out in the field and didn't call in and they went looking for him. Apparently it was a heart attack -- and I've been in a weepy daze all week not quite believing I will never see him again. He was a cat person too. He led had an exemplary life style compared to my own, and it was another reminder that life is precious and finite. It is important to live in the now and treasure all those everyday pleasures of connection with the people and animals we care about and love.

              Sorry, this is not a lecture, just been a week that has me thinking about love and loss and worry.

              Pat

              > I just made Skip's bi-annual appointments. One with his
              > regular vet for his annual checkup and to get blood and urine
              > samples for his cardiology appointment and then one for his
              > cardiologist who wants to see him twice a year.
              >
              > I always get real nervous around this time. I worry that
              > the cardiologist is going to tell me that the HCM has progressed
              > significantly...we are at 2 years since his diagnosis (Skip is
              > 12). Please note that this has never happened and the most
              > she says is that his heart wall has barely changed. I keep
              > telling myself that everything will be ok and some cats live for
              > years with HCM.
              >
              > But I know at some point it probably will change, and I worry
              > all the way up until the appointment. My poor boyfriend
              > puts up with a month of me worrying and watching Skip like a
              > hawk, so that if I have any questions I can ask the cardiologist.
              >
              > Actually this time around, Skip to me looks a lot better.
              > He has gained some weight back since he now likes his canned
              > food. He's no longer mad at mommy about the food situation
              > and looks forward again to the canned food. He still eats
              > his hard food as well. Since Skip is no longer mad at
              > mommy, he lays on the back of the couch behind me with his tail
              > wrapped around my neck. Very sweet.
              >
              > I was just wondering if anyone else gets the jitters before the
              > checkups? And what do you do to keep from worrying?

            • Carol
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 23, 2011
                We're in the same boat with you. Mellie went for her bloodwork and urinalysis appt on Tuesday. She peed in the carrier as we took her in (she is 19 and it was the time of day for her to do that - so she did). We should have given her her fluids that morning but didn't. Vet stuck her twice and could get only a tiny amount of blood. We now have another appointment on Monday - wish us luck! These tests are in preparation for her cardiology recheck the first Wednesday in August. And yes, I'm already worried as she's lost 1/2 a pound since her last visit a couple months ago with the regular vet.

                carol and mellie