Lucky's BP & Bad Teeth

  • Laura Penny
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2000
      Lucky and Kassy went to the cardiologist today for their BP checks. Kassy's
      was 128, up from 120 but way below her original 200. She will continue on
      1/2 ml. (0.625 mg) of Norvasc a day.

      Lucky's BP is still on the high side. Originally it was 200. In April it was
      172 with the same dose of Norvasc, but today it was still 160...and she was
      calm. So we're upping the dose to 3/4 ml. of Norvasc a day.

      After we saw the cardiologist, we saw the oncologist to check the lump
      between her shoulder blades. I had already had a needle biopsy done that
      showed fatty cells, but the first vet wasn't sure she got the needle in far
      enough. Today the oncologist did three biopsies, all of which showed fatty
      cells. Good news.

      However, the oncologist said her teeth look horrible. She has always had bad
      teeth, and had several removed over the years. She was on antibiotics in
      late winter, and her gums cleared up, but today we saw a lot of tartar. I
      want to avoid surgery if possible because of her heart (she has had stable
      HCM for 2 years), but I don't know if we can.

      I have a call in to her regular vet to see if we can try antibiotics first.
      In addition to her HCM, she has IBD and early CRF and is a former diabetic
      whose BG is creeping up again.

      Laura