Re: Clipsy's echocardiogram on a very HOT day

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
      Hi Jim

      Whoa what a day you had! I think my blood pressure would have been through
      the roof by that point, never mind the cats. Plavix is horribly expensive
      but is available as a generic in the UK called clopidogrel which is a
      quarter of the price. You can get a prescription to take to the pharmacy, but I`m
      not sure if its available in the states.

      Lyn:)

    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
        Jim, what a day you two had! My only idea would be to use a clip-on fan (they make them for cages, you can even get ones that you can attach an ice pack to) for the carrier. They make cool water blankets but cats seem to hate them. If you ever have to do this again, I'm sure Cornell would allow you to keep her there for a few hours till it got a little cooler out, if you have the time to hang out in Ithaca and wait. I did that once with my cat, picking him up after the sun went down (though I didn't live 2 hours away!).

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sinclair <jisincla@...> wrote:
        A little later the receptionist came
        > out and said one of the vets had checked her and wanted to administer
        > some subQ fluids. I asked if this was safe, given her heart
        > condition--the cardiologist had warned me NOT to give her fluids at
        > home, and had just increased her dose of furosemide, which is a
        > diuretic, to flush more fluids *out* of her system. Vet thought she
        > was a bit dehydrated and would tolerate a small amount of fluid.

        Can I just say, good for you for questioning and AAAAAAAARRGGGH for the vet. Your cardiologist increases the furosemide the same day the vet advises SQ fluids. When a cat with heart disease and CHF comes in for breathing quickly, why prescribe fluids? This drives me bonkers. There are other ways to cool a cat besides the rather inefficient use of SQ fluids. And a cat that is eating and drinking well will re-hydrate herself. I'm sure they gave her a micro-amount out of nervousness, which brings the question--why bother?
        /soapbox

        Anyway ... for the Plavix, ask compounding companies too as sometimes they can be a little cheaper (it makes no sense, but sometimes they are) and Plavix tastes terrible anyway.

        Adriann
      • tobythelegend
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
          Generic Plavix is not yet available in the United States. The common prescription for Plavix is 1/4 pill, once per day. Pills run $8 or so each, so the cost is about $2 a day. Pricey.
        • janie
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
            Wow what a day. I think I would borrow a car or do the test in cool
            weather. I know Boomer who has not got heart condition. I chased her
            all over the house then got her in the carrier and our car was cooling
            down. We only go 3 miles to the vet and she was opened mouth
            breathing. I got her head by the air and got her inside and she got
            all right. I swore never to take her again in the horrid heat unless I
            have to. I think it could make a difference in your numbers too. Each
            day you take a test it can be different of course if it's a lot worse
            that would be different. Its very dangerous. Try to get a friend if
            possible. You did some smart things to take care of her. Great job.
            Dont worry too much if the test is a littlw worse.Good luck Janie
          • Carol
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
              Hi Jim and everyone,

              If you have to go out with Clipsy again on another hot day, without the a/c in the car, try this. They use it for bunnies. I volunteered last weekend at a bunny fair here in San Jose, CA, and they talked about cooling down the bunnies on hot days with using full water bottles that they freeze. Put the bottle inside a sock or something soft and lay them next to them inside their carriers. This is a great idea to work for any critter that has to travel inside a carrier or even in the car loose. Just place the frozen water bottles under a blanket and them on top of the blanket. Remember to freeze the water bottle with the top off, then put the top on after it's frozen, otherwise the water will expand and crack the bottle in the freezer.

              I hate these hot days. I hope the summer cools off for our kitties soon.

              and the gang

              and the gang

            • mec2973
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
                I think my pharmacist said that generic Plavix is expected to come to the US next year sometime. I told him I was looking forward to it.

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tobythelegend" <tobythelegend@...> wrote:

                > Generic Plavix is not yet available in the United States. The common prescription for Plavix is 1/4 pill, once per day. Pills run $8 or so each, so the cost is about $2 a day. Pricey.

              • Westgold
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
                  Ah..... what we do for love .....