Re: Saddle Thrombus/Thrombosis

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
      Hi Tobythelegend

      Did your kitty recover fully from his thrombus? Was he paralyzed in both legs, and how long did it take for him to recover? Rarely there are cats who both clot and clear their clots -- these cats rapidly break up the clots that they make, and so end up having a better survival time. It's worth trying some anti-thrombotic agents like aspirin and Plavix. You can talk to your vet about enrolling in the ongoing FATCAT study: http://www.vin.com/FATCAT/ for kitties that have survived an aortic thromboembolism (saddle thrombus).

      My childhood cat survived an ATE, regained full use of her back legs (knuckled one back foot a little afterward), and lived several more years even with any medication. When she went for her checkup the next year the vet was astonished to see her. This was years ago, before veterinary cardiology was as advanced as it is today. So there are definitely those 'outlyers' who don't listen to the textbooks!

      Fingers crossed and good wishes for your little guy!
      Adriann

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tobythelegend" <tobythelegend@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm just wondering who else out there has a cat that has had saddle thrombus/thrombosis? I don't hear it talked about much on this message board. My little guy is about 2.5 months post his first (and hopefully only) saddle thrombus, but my vet said there was a 65% chance he'd have another in the first 6 months of his initial thrombus. Does anyone else have a cat with this condition, or if you had one, how long did they make it? I know that even amongst cats with HCM, this condition is pretty much end of the line. Thanks.

    • tobythelegend
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
        Adriann,

        It has been approximately nine weeks since he was first seen by the vet for his thrombus. I'm ashamed to say that he had his thrombus while my wife and I were on our honeymoon, and may have gone a day or two without it being noticed that he had impaired function. He peed on the couch which tells me he was in great pain and could not move. When my mother found him she took him immediately to the emergency vet (on Easter Sunday).

        He initially had lost function to both legs, and had pulmonary edema as well. He was able to clear his clot, and with medications, recovered from the pulmonary edema as well. He knuckled his back right leg for the first few weeks after returning home. He now walks with a pronounced limp on his right leg (left leg works fine), but seems to be putting more weight on the paw itself every day.

        I love my vet. The more I find out about this disease, the more I am pleased with her treatment of our cat. She has prescribed the following medications:
        Atenolol (.25 tab/ 6.25mg)(twice per day), Furosemide (.25 tab/ 3.25mg), Plavix (.25 tab/18.75mg), Benazepril (.5 tab/ 2.5mg).

        Reading over the study it sounds like what my vet has prescribed is almost identical to the study. I would say that I would gladly sign up for the study, however, it is doubleblind, and I really do want my little guy to continue on the Plavix; I've read at least one other study that suggested Plavix has merit over Aspirin.

        Thank you for the kind words. My wife and I are expecting our first child at the end of this year, and if it is a boy, we are naming it after our beloved kitty, Eli.

        -Ryan aka Toby :)