Other Nutrients for HCM Cats

  • Joanne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
      For your consideration-human hearts and feline hearts are basically the same. They work the same and to a certain extent, our hearts can get the same sort of diseases. Cats are often prescribed human medications for the heart such as lasik, spironolactone, Plavix, etc. Therefore, usually what benefits a human heart disease patient usually benefits a feline patient. For example, a human study said that heart patients need extra vitamins to help the heart function because heart meds strip the body of necessary nutrients (especially lasik.) COQ10 is found in our bodies and is needed for cell growth, energy, and also works as an antioxidant. The heart is already full of it. Studies have shown a benefit to the heart if a patient takes more COQ10. Therefore, since May 2010, our cat has received an inch and a half a day of her feline vitamin paste (we use Excel) and one COQ10 100 mg pill per meal at three times a day (we use Nature Made and pierce the gel cap and squeeze out the contents and mix it into her wet food.) After a month, her heart numbers improved and she has remained the same since June 2010 and without an incident. Granted, this might change in the future as HCM is a delicate condition. But there's no harm in giving extra vitamins and COQ10 to cats. Use the feline vitamin paste which is made with the levels that cats need and has vitamins they need such as taurine. How much to give is a guess. We found that she would eat about an inch and a half of it with her food. How much COQ10 for cats is a guess but 100 mg x3 a day works for our cat. Most of but not all of the contents of the gel cap come out when you squeeze it. You will need to monitor if the cat's colon can handle the oils (there might be loose stool at first.) But that seems to be the only issue. If there's anything else that people are giving their cats to improve their health, please let me know. Thank you.
    • acrocat@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
        Just one thing to keep in mind here, though: the main type of heart disease affecting humans is ischemic heart disease, caused by clogged blood vessels. The most common type of heart disease in cats is HCM. Most supplements won't cause any harm, even if they don't do any good -- the question with cats is always whether or not the cat will readily eat the supplement. Since most cats have a limit to what they will accept, force-pilling or risking turning a cat off his/her food is just not worth it for medications we don't know are essential to prolong life.
        Adriann
      • MAUREEN FOGG
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2011
          Hi Joanne - do you give 100 mg total for the day or 300 mf total for the day of
          the COQ10?
          Thanks,
          Maureen and Yuki